Notifications
Clear all

Save The Paper Try A Diamond File

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Diamond files. sorry if im yelling i just am very excited about diamond files!

[media] http://www.youtube.c...h?v=gWBY6IZgf8Y [/media]

Tucker Parris

TAPForge.com

Posted : 07/07/2016 3:05 pm
BrionTomberlin

Use them all the time Tucker. They come in real handy. Especially for clips and swedges.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 07/07/2016 7:37 pm
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith

Hey Tucker and Brion,

What grits do you find you use the most for these? 120, 220, or? How long do they last you?

Posted : 08/07/2016 4:26 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Hey Tucker and Brion,

What grits do you find you use the most for these? 120, 220, or? How long do they last you?

im using a DMT coarse/fine diamond stone, its really meant for sharpening but i like the big surface area so i tried it. i would guess the coarse side is close to 240 and the fine side maybe 400? but it cuts way faster then paper and leaves a killer finish on hard metal, not bad on soft but stellar on hard. its very rough when you first get the stone but after a blade or two it works out to about 240 for the coarse and 400 for the soft i think...

i was mainly using this when i didnt have a 9" variable disk. so i was draw filing everything flat. and i used this in between draw filing and hand sanding. its especially good for those stubborn file gouges. now stuff comes off the grinder so flat i can go strait into hand sanding around 320 to 400 grit. now im starting to use it for sharpening so it was still a useful buy.

Tucker Parris

TAPForge.com

Posted : 08/07/2016 6:55 pm

Great idea, thank you for sharing Tucker. Have some DMT's at home but never tried that application.

Posted : 11/07/2016 2:19 pm

I have been looking for something better than paper. I have tried mold stones, but being so small, they are hard to use. These look like they would be easier to handle. The stone finish seems better than sand paper for sure. Hard to tell from the video, what length/size stone do you use?

Posted : 14/07/2016 11:16 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Great idea, thank you for sharing Tucker. Have some DMT's at home but never tried that application.

Np it works wonders.

Tucker Parris

TAPForge.com

Posted : 15/07/2016 1:40 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

I have been looking for something better than paper. I have tried mold stones, but being so small, they are hard to use. These look like they would be easier to handle. The stone finish seems better than sand paper for sure. Hard to tell from the video, what length/size stone do you use?

the stone i got is 6" by 2" so its nice and big and flat. crisp clean lines!

Tucker Parris

TAPForge.com

Posted : 15/07/2016 1:42 pm
Share: