Clear all

Specialty Dies For The Hydraulic Press

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Steve Culver
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith/ABS Instructor
Topic starter

The Topic of the Month for March 2017 is, Specialty Dies for the Hydraulic Press. A hydraulic forging press is one of the primary machines in many knifemaker’s shops. Most knifemakers who own a hydraulic press, have made dies for a specific forging function. Please share the specialty dies that you have for use in your hydraulic press.

Posted : 27/02/2017 9:54 pm
Karl B. Andersen

I've made quite a few dies that are special purpose.

First are my infinitely variable stops.

These are 1 inch bolts that screw into 1 inch connectors that are welded to plates. Since they are 8 threads per inch, one revolution = 1/8 inch. Six facets on the bolt head make each one about .020" as the bolts turn.

I have two different length connectors and four different length bolts that make any reduction from full-sized billets amazingly accurate.

I can dial my thickness right in to where I want it.

For setting my ricasso into a full width bar, I just slotted a piece of 1 inch thick steel 1 inch deep. I use it under a full length flat die with maybe a washer on top to create my ricassos.

I'll give a little bit of a squeeze and then switch over to the power hammer to lay flat the upset and then back into the die, back and forth, until I have a perfect ricasso.

With this set up, I can set my ricasso and draw out my hidden tang in maybe five heats.

I don't have a picture, but i also have large flat dies with big holes cut into the center for straightening out Brute de Forge knives. I can lay the upset flared finger guard of the Brute de Forge into the hole and flatten the knife without bothering the flared finger guard.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 28/02/2017 12:41 am
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Carl thanks for posting the special dies you are using. I was just trying to figure out how to accurately put stops in place without having multiple fixtures. Your bolt fixture is perfect. Thank you.

Posted : 28/02/2017 4:04 pm
Noble Member Apprentice Bladesmith

I won't bother with the typical dies such as flat, ladder, beveling etc. as they have been well covered. Here are a few specialty dies that I've used:

The first two are for making guards:

This one is for making 60 degree pieces for a six-way mosaic (rather than the typical 4-way):

Posted : 28/02/2017 7:29 pm
Share: