Taking Online Payment

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Evan Cihak
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Good morning gentlemen-

For starters, I would like to say that this is a discussion about recommended payment gateways, not a pitch for a sale. (I saw a similar topic get flagged, and I'd like to avoid that fate)

Do any of the Bladesmiths on this forum have a preferred online transaction provider? I have an out of state customer, and this is my first time I've needed to cover my butt this way. Need to get a direction on how to take a secure payment.

Thanks as always for the great advice.

-Evan

Evan L. Cihak

Posted : 08/11/2018 1:07 pm
Karl B. Andersen

If it wasn't for Paypal, I wouldn't be in business.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 09/11/2018 9:00 am
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

When it comes to accepting payments online, try to stick with well known/established services.

Personally, I use Inuit GoPayments for accepting credit cards, and Paypal..... and of course there's that old school method of writing me a check or money order, and mailing it to me. (Of course NOTHING ships until a payment clears the bank/service)

I've had many people ask to make payment using some obscure avenue/service, and my rules are pretty simple...... If you not willing to use one of the payment methods I offer, then we don't do business.

When it comes to credit cards or Paypal, DO NOT eat the fees! I make it fully known to the client that there are added fees when paying with certain methods, and that's just the way it is. I also send invoices out for any paypal.... makes tracking/records keeping so much easier.

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 09/11/2018 9:28 am
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

pay pal and etsy. I run Credit cards on Paypal as well though. etsy has an in-person service now as well that I have not tried I may next year as it would simplify my inventory record / bookkeeping.

MP

Posted : 09/11/2018 5:39 pm
Share: