Notifications
Clear all

Tips On Etching

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

I recently bought an etcher and had a few stencils made with my name on it. My question is when do you put your makers mark on the knife? I typically put a satin hand finish on and stop at either 400 or 600 grit. I have about 10 knives already finished with handles on. Should these be handled differently than new builds?

Any tips here would be appreciated.

Scott

Posted : 19/08/2014 8:48 am
Lin Rhea

I have etched my name into a finished blade and cleaned it up after the fact but usually I will finish the blade to the last grit of hand sanding and etch it in, then after the neutralizing of the etchant, I will go over it again with the final grit size. I do this whether it is carbon or Damascus.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 19/08/2014 3:21 pm
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith

I used to do the logo as the last step before final sharpening, but you run the risk of the etch going badly after you already have the knife together. You can clean up a dirty etch on a finished knife, but it's tougher. Consequently, the last dozen or so I have etched the logo after the final polishing but before handle assembly. If you get a little bit of fuzzy on your etch, you can use a hard backing and sandpaper one grit finer than your final polish. It takes off the fuzz without messing up your blade finish. Still important to make full clean strokes.

Posted : 19/08/2014 5:38 pm
Joshua States

I always (repeat Always) etch my mark before final assembly. I also hand sand the ricasso one step finer than the blade. So if my blade is finished to 400, then the ricasso goes to 600 and so on. The mark base will always be 600 or finer. I find that the coarser the finish, the more likely you will wind up with a fuzzy mark. Using a good quality stencil also helps make a crisp etch, much more so than the etcher itself. Almost any etcher will work, but the stencil quality is critical. I have tried to put the mark on some knives after the handle is attached, but getting it centered is always a hassle as is keeping the etch from attacking the guard or bolster.After etch and neutralizing, I go back over the mark with 600 or finer paper to remove any stray marks or blemishes caused by errant etching solution.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 19/08/2014 11:58 pm
Share: