Notifications
Clear all

Bowie Guard Dimensions

18 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith

Has anyone used the golden ration to figure out rations.

Having done a lecture with Peter Jonson and seen the way many European swords were laid out based on it I was wondering if anyone has done this.

Also I have seen blacksmiths golden ration calipers and thought about making a set for easy layout.

Posted : 16/02/2017 8:35 pm
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith

|quoted:

Has anyone used the golden ration to figure out rations.

JJ - during the ABS Intro to Bladesmithing course with Kevin and Heather Harvey here in South Africa, Kevin talked about the use of the Golden ratio, and its use in knife design, specifically when choosing the width of the ricasso in relation to its height. The principle being that a ricasso which is sized based on the golden ratio will generally be more pleasing to the eye than one where the ricasso is a randomly sized rectangle.

Rick

Posted : 23/03/2017 5:10 pm
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith

|quoted:

JJ - during the ABS Intro to Bladesmithing course with Kevin and Heather Harvey here in South Africa, Kevin talked about the use of the Golden ratio, and its use in knife design, specifically when choosing the width of the ricasso in relation to its height. The principle being that a ricasso which is sized based on the golden ratio will generally be more pleasing to the eye than one where the ricasso is a randomly sized rectangle.

Rick

Wonderful.

I have the book Sword and Form by Peter Johnson and have been to one of his lectures.

Its facinating.

When he chose the width and thus the height of the ricasso did he then calculate out for the length of the blade, handle and height of the guard?

Posted : 27/04/2017 11:03 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: