Notifications
Clear all

Brass Fixtures

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Noble Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Recently I've done a few knives with some added brass fixtures mainly for contrast. Let me know what you think. Do you like the added contrast or prefer other materials?

Thanks,

Gary

Posted : 09/05/2015 1:12 pm

Hi Mr. Mulkey,

I think the brass looks good man, I really like the brass D-guards you put on some of your work!

Posted : 09/05/2015 8:31 pm
BrionTomberlin

I like using it for contrast Gary. Especially with something like ironwood where the gold color picks up the highlights in the wood. I normally use bronze, but I think brass has gotten a bad rep.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 09/05/2015 9:29 pm
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

I agree with Brion, I personally like brass for the same reasons mentioned, the problem with it for me is that "bad rap" thing. In the last 5 years I've made exactly 2 knives with brass, and both of those I ended up giving away because they simply would not sell. The thing that has always blown my mind is that I can use bronze, and people buy it just as much as a knife that has Nickel Silver or 416, but for me brass is like customer repellant.

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 09/05/2015 10:02 pm
Noble Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. For whatever reason I've never used any bronze but I guess that I will have to try it.

Gary

Posted : 09/05/2015 10:25 pm
Steve Culver
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith/ABS Instructor

I think that brass is quite acceptable on period knives. It's too bad that many collectors have a "thing" against brass; as well as some other perfectly suitable materials. Like Ed; I cannot figure out how they feel bronze is okay, but do not want brass.

Posted : 10/05/2015 6:57 pm
Share: