Notifications
Clear all

Assembly Style

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Michael Hoopes
Topic starter

I try to only claim that I like to learn, not that what I learn is the right thing. With that in mind, I was taught a technique for assembling handles (and components) out of natural materials. What I want to know is if what I'm about to describe is pretty standard or common, and how well it can last. Frankly, I think it's neat, but I don't want to get into the habit of doing something that is considered "second rate" or bad.

The hole for the tang in the handle material is instead drilled a bit larger.

Brass tube is epoxied into the hole. The guard/pommel/furniture (where possible) is soldered to a slightly smaller piece of brass tube so that it can "telescope" into position inside the first tube.

Tang slides through the slot in the guard, and the whole interior is filled with epoxy.

So there you have it! Is this an effective way to assemble a knife with a handle of natural materials? (Bone, antler, bamboo, etc.)

Posted : 05/03/2014 10:00 am
Rob Watson

|quoted:

I try to only claim that I like to learn, not that what I learn is the right thing. With that in mind, I was taught a technique for assembling handles (and components) out of natural materials. What I want to know is if what I'm about to describe is pretty standard or common, and how well it can last. Frankly, I think it's neat, but I don't want to get into the habit of doing something that is considered "second rate" or bad.

The hole for the tang in the handle material is instead drilled a bit larger.

Brass tube is epoxied into the hole. The guard/pommel/furniture (where possible) is soldered to a slightly smaller piece of brass tube so that it can "telescope" into position inside the first tube.

Tang slides through the slot in the guard, and the whole interior is filled with epoxy.

So there you have it! Is this an effective way to assemble a knife with a handle of natural materials? (Bone, antler, bamboo, etc.)

any pics Michael ?

[font="Comic Sans MS"]'Never Quit On Improving'[/font]

Posted : 05/03/2014 11:22 am
Michael Hoopes
Topic starter

Unfortunately, only of the completed knife. I didn't think to take photos while it was being made until after the final assembly was complete! I know that the technique works, at least it's still solid a week or so later! I wanted to crowdsource some insight before I did it again or made a habit. I might be able to make a mock-up from scraps and take a photo, would that help?

Posted : 05/03/2014 5:13 pm
Lin Rhea

This method is not unheard of, but I don't see it very often. When I do see it wood is the inside material in order to keep the weight of the handle to a minimum. Wood also has the ability to compress slightly. This might be a good thing if the outside is a brittle substance in the event it shrinks.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 06/03/2014 3:01 pm
Michael Hoopes
Topic starter

|quoted:

This method is not unheard of, but I don't see it very often. When I do see it wood is the inside material in order to keep the weight of the handle to a minimum. Wood also has the ability to compress slightly. This might be a good thing if the outside is a brittle substance in the event it shrinks.

I like that! I'd hate to use it again only to find that the handle split or cracked because the metal tube wouldn't flex with it. I definitely won't use this technique with every blade I make, but having a tip so I don't ruin anything in the future is appreciated, thank you.

Posted : 06/03/2014 11:10 pm
Share: