Notifications
Clear all

Guard Styles And Different Ways To Make Them

19 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
New Member Guest

I don't often put guards on my knives, aside from the neo-tribal turkshead type stuff but when I do(mostly a "suggestion" of a guard) it is simple, rough and... simple... yeah, I guess that best describes it. My only power tools are a benchtop drillpress and a Grizzly 2x72.

1. File the tang/ricasso with small 1/8" radiused shoulders.

2. Drill and file a slot in the guard stock. I really don't fuss over the size or squareness... I just need to make sure it is smooth, smaller than the shoulder area and that it fits over the end of the tang.

3. Heat the guard up to forging temp(clamp the blade in a vice) and "hot-fit" it to the shoulder, using a pipe that has been pinched down to fit the tang.

4. Make sure to give it enough wacks to sink the shoulders into the guard a bit, then clean up the top face, flush.

5. Any gaps are closed with some well placed hammer blows to the edges.

6. Clean and decorate the guard.(nothing too fancy here, folks)

7. For the final mount I apply JB Weld, hammer the guard so it is seated, then use a small center-punch to the back face of the guard, peening in several areas to further secure the fit.

Sounds like a lot.... but I can have guard cut, fitted, decorated and mounted in under an hour. Which might be slow for some but fast for me. (as opposed to the 3-4hours it took, trying to file and fit them, before) I'm still learning. Sorry... I don't have any step-by-step WIP pics.

The majority of my "guards" just look like this...

Posted : 09/03/2012 12:13 pm
Lin Rhea

Very nice Rick.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 09/03/2012 12:45 pm
New Member Guest

I want to try your "hot fit" ... thanks! Love the variety & tooling on your work.

Posted : 09/03/2012 1:03 pm
Dwane Oliver

WOW , Rick thanks for posting. Good Stuff

9-11-01 , We Will Never Forget.

Work smarter NOT harder

Posted : 09/03/2012 10:37 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: