Notifications
Clear all

Help With Handle Finish...

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
New Member Guest

Making my first full tang skinner. I got this nice looking burl from a musical instrument maker near me (his scrap, my treasure)

Looking very nice as I formed and sanded the scales, then an inclusion about 1" long and 1/16" at it widest started to appear on one side. I really like this wood and do not want to junk this piece. Is there any way to save it? I will put it in my "Wife Dear, this one has a problem so I have to keep it, collection.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Posted : 11/04/2012 6:29 pm
Mike Williams

lots of things will probably fix it. Clear epoxy is the simplist. Make sure the crack is clear of dust and crud. Pack it full of epoxy and then use a soda staw and good ole' human air pressure to blow it down in the crack. Repeat as necessary. Many burl woods have this kind of flaw.

M

Mike Williams

Master Smith

Posted : 11/04/2012 7:26 pm
New Member Guest

Thank you.

I will mix some up and try it. I had read about super glue and tryed it on a piece of scrap that had a crack but, after 6 coats the crack was still a crack. Would not fill in.

Coat one tonight and look see in the morning.

GB

Posted : 11/04/2012 9:26 pm
BrionTomberlin

George, Mike knows his stuff. Epoxy would be my choice also. Ironwood has issues like that. For small areas I use either gel superglue, the 30 second set variety, but for larger areas epoxy is what I use. And the same straw trick too.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 11/04/2012 10:09 pm
Jonathan Stanley

Mr. George,

I have that problem a lot 2 and I use epoxy also. If it is on a flat surface than I use Mr. Williams method but on curved surface than this is what I do.

1. Hold the knife in hand so that gravity helps epoxy seep down into crack.

2. Mix epoxy with whatever is convenient.

3. For filling crack however I start with a small needle so I can push epoxy down in crack as much as possible than I use something bigger to heap the epoxy over the crack.

4. Than I take a piece of clear tape and place over all epoxy, doing this forms a mold around the crack allowing the epoxy to harden to the shape of the handle.

5. After the epoxy is well hardened I take an exact o knife and slowly and carefully cut away the tape and remaining epoxy.

6. Then I sand down like nothing had happened.

I am only 13 and am not a master but this method works for me and I hope it will work for you!

let me know how your project goes, and good luck.

Jonathan.

Jonathan Stanley

Apprentice Smith

Posted : 11/04/2012 10:32 pm
New Member Guest

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the solutions. Brion you are right Mike knows his stuff. I got some Gel Super Glue and tried it on some scrap burl with crack, it took 4 coats but, worked on the smaller stuff. Jonathan the ability to learn comes at all ages, the ability to share knowledge shows great maturity, age is not the what matters, willingness to help others, seeking knownledge, and keeping the mystery out of what you do. You will go far when you help others.

The epoxy worked great, the wife feels we have one to sell, I guess it work to well!!!

Posted : 12/04/2012 11:27 pm
Share: