Notifications
Clear all

Foliated Steel

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Hi every one! i'm a bright new member of te ABS, super happy to join the society, i'm from france and i would like to know if anyone allrady meet the folowing probleme:

I made a 5000 layer steel billet, with half wrougth iron and half 1,5% carbone steel,

and it goes crambuly, whene i started to draw it out, even after sevreal times leting it cooling down slowly in refractory material.

Even if some weld ar not perfect, the grain arfetr quenching looks good.

Anyone knows anything about this ?

I attached some piture.

sincerely yours

Robin Gagachian

Attached files

Posted : 03/03/2018 6:20 pm
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Robin

You may be experiencing a condition called red short, some steels are more susceptible to this than others. Over heating, sulfur content and many other conditions can cause it .

Google red short steel and you can learn more.

Hope this helps.

Anthony

Posted : 06/03/2018 12:06 pm
Matthew Parkinson

If you are welding in a coal forge you could be picking up sulfur leading to red short over many heats.

MP

Posted : 06/03/2018 9:22 pm
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

I agree with both Anthony, and Matt. I have to ask the question, what prompted you to want to do a 5000 layer billet? The amount of time steel would need to be exposed to high temps in order to achieve that many layers usually doesn't turn out well.

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 07/03/2018 8:57 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

Robin

You may be experiencing a condition called red short, some steels are more susceptible to this than others. Over heating, sulfur content and many other conditions can cause it .

Google red short steel and you can learn more.

Hope this helps.

Anthony

This a completly new phenomenom for me which i'm realy happy to hear about!

i'm going to google it and make some others tests with diferent conditions, keeping in mind what you said.

Than a lote for your answor Anthony!

Posted : 07/03/2018 3:59 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

If you are welding in a coal forge you could be picking up sulfur leading to red short over many heats.

MP

MP

I'm forging with propane, which may not containe the best component for so many welding, i may try to find some good quality wood charcoal

Robin

Posted : 07/03/2018 4:05 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

I agree with both Anthony, and Matt. I have to ask the question, what prompted you to want to do a 5000 layer billet? The amount of time steel would need to be exposed to high temps in order to achieve that many layers usually doesn't turn out well.

Ed Caffrey

The reason why i whant that many layers, is i whant to make an homogeneous layered steel out of iron and steel

i keep all your advises in minde, realy ahppy read all that

Thanks a lote every one !

Respectfully

Posted : 07/03/2018 4:21 pm
Matthew Parkinson

depending on thickness, you should should reach a eutectic for sooner than 5000 layers, I would think 1200-1500 would do certainly do it. Propane shouldn't have any sulfur in it are you using flux? it could also be boron embitterment from borax based flux.

MP

Posted : 07/03/2018 5:43 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

depending on thickness, you should should reach a eutectic for sooner than 5000 layers, I would think 1200-1500 would do certainly do it. Propane shouldn't have any sulfur in it are you using flux? it could also be boron embitterment from borax based flux.

MP

In deed i'm using Borax! i should try with a reducing flame in my forge and an othef kinf of protection again oxygene.

Posted : 08/03/2018 4:31 am
Share: