Integral bolster se...

Notifications
Clear all

Integral bolster self tempers during interrupted quench

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Howdy ABS wizards

Maybe this is a question with obvious answers but I’d love to discuss the merits of different options/solutions.

I have found that Kevin Cashen’s interrupted quench technique gives me a near 100% success heat treating thinner blades without warps. I did one yesterday a 9” integral chef’s knife and when I interrupted the quench I saw a wiggle so I clamped it between 2 angle irons to finish the quench. 

Here’s the thing- when I etched it was obvious that the thick integral bolster held enough heat to show a curved quench line in my blade/bolster transition. 

It’s actually probably perfect for performance to have the transition softer but it’s a hidden tang chef’s knife not a heavy chopper so it won’t see that kind of stress. 

And the pattern evened out some from a coffee etch after the ferric but I like all my fittings to match or at least to have control of the process. 

Seems like I need to embrace the quench line/autohamon effect, or just forge thicker and grind more if I want meat there so I can safely stay in the quench oil long enough to get even hardness in an integral bolster. 

Any comments or discussion is greatly appreciated! 

Kevin Cunningham

@kevincunninghamknives on IG if you wanna see my recent work 

Posted : 03/01/2022 3:14 pm
Karl B Andersen
Journeyman Bladesmith Forum Moderator

It may also be that the thicker, heavier bolster area simply did not get up into austenite.

I wasn't there - so I don't really know. Are you austenizing with a forge or an oven?

Hardening/heat treating is a "dance" sometimes trying to get what you want.

You may want to have an oxy torch going at the same time to pre-heat the bolster area so as to have it the same temp as the rest of the blade when it gets ready - if you're using the forge for heat.

Just an idea. 

Posted : 04/01/2022 8:10 am
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Thanks Karl

I’m heating with a forge trusting color & magnetism. I gave the knife a good soak tang side first then flipped it to cycle the thinner blade in and out. 

I’m 100% sure the integral bolster had a hard candy shell when the blade came out of the oil but that lump just couldn’t lose heat as fast as a thin chef’s blade that was only thick enough to sacrifice a decarb layer after quench.

Maybe I should just be super happy to have a straight blade and that the coffee etch evened things out a lot- the ferric etch left the bolster mostly gray compared to the near black of the hard 1084.

Posted : 04/01/2022 12:33 pm
Share: