Notifications
Clear all

Quenching With Drasta?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi all,

I'm new here but wanted to know if anyone had experience or an opinion on Drasta fast quenching oil. It is reasonably priced and easy for me to obtain. Below is a copy of the info I was sent from my local specialty steel supplier. I will be treating 1095 and 01.

DRASTA 101S FAST QUENCHING OIL (5 GALLON) RATED @ 7-9 SECONDS OIL BEING AT 77 DEGREES F PRICE 94 DOLLARS

Thanks

Steve Watkins

Steve Watkins

www.ironmanknives.com

Posted : 27/09/2010 2:45 pm
Kevin R. Cashen

Steve, excellent, do you have any further information about the oil, or the people who supply it? Knifemakers are in a serious need of as many quench oil options as they can get right now and I am always looking to expand my list of recommendations. The speed numbers really sound good, but due to different testing methods are not always directly comparable from one oil to the next.

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 28/09/2010 11:18 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

Steve, excellent, do you have any further information about the oil, or the people who supply it? Knifemakers are in a serious need of as many quench oil options as they can get right now and I am always looking to expand my list of recommendations. The speed numbers really sound good, but due to different testing methods are not always directly comparable from one oil to the next.

That is all I was given. The company who inquired for me is a specialty steel supplier in Monroe NC. They sale sheets and blocks of high carbon and tooling steels as well as aluminum etc. If you have any specific questions for them I will be glad to ask. Give me a list and I will pass them along. I am more than happy to pass along their contact info as well.

Steve Watkins

www.ironmanknives.com

Posted : 28/09/2010 8:17 pm
Steve Randall
Eminent Member Master Bladesmith (5yr)

Steve

I live just North of you in Lincolnton and have been looking for some fast quench oil as well. If you don't mine sharing What is the name and address of the steel company you are talking about. I have talked with the local distributor for Houghton for some Quench K and it is $175 for 5 gal. so I was still shopping around. I did not check for a drum price of the quench k maybe worth looking int a group buy. I am a fairly new knifemaker ( went to intro to blade last year)and wanting to add some 1095 steel to my steel choices, just haven't till I can find some quenchent.I have been using 5160 and 52100 and the quenching fluid I us on them is to slow . Thanks Steve Randall

Posted : 30/09/2010 9:12 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

Steve

I live just North of you in Lincolnton and have been looking for some fast quench oil as well. If you don't mine sharing What is the name and address of the steel company you are talking about. I have talked with the local distributor for Houghton for some Quench K and it is $175 for 5 gal. so I was still shopping around. I did not check for a drum price of the quench k maybe worth looking int a group buy. I am a fairly new knifemaker ( went to intro to blade last year)and wanting to add some 1095 steel to my steel choices, just haven't till I can find some quenchent.I have been using 5160 and 52100 and the quenching fluid I us on them is to slow . Thanks Steve Randall

I am just getting started again after a 15 year hiatus. I have a good friend who runs a NASCAR garage so I have an endless supply of coil spring steel (1095). I don't have a power hammer so my arm is about to fall off from pounding them flat! Oh well, good practice. My email is in my profile feel free to shoot me an email.

The steel co. is PPC out of Monroe NC, 15 miles South of Charlotte. Very nice and easy to deal with. They respond quickly to email and phone. Hope this helps.

DAVID PRYCHODKO

PPC SPECIALTY METALS

[email protected]

(P) 704-283-9122

(F) 704-289-6406

Steve Watkins

www.ironmanknives.com

Posted : 30/09/2010 7:49 pm
Steve Randall
Eminent Member Master Bladesmith (5yr)

Thanks Steve for the info. I agree on the hammer work. I am planing on making a tire hammer to help with that, just have to find the time....Steve

Posted : 04/10/2010 9:56 am
Trusted Member Journeyman Bladesmith

If you are using auto coil springs, it might not be 1095 (probably is not ). Are you sure it is 1095? Alot of coil springs are low alloy steel, which may not require a fast quench. They could be 5160, or similer, which hardens easily in a slower oil.

I know this is an old post, but may help others. Dan

Posted : 06/02/2011 6:57 pm
Share: