Clear all

Testing A Knife

7 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
Chad Kennedy
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith
Topic starter

Hey guys. I decided to do another test knife since its been a while. I should have taken more pictures of the testing but I didn't, sorry. I am using 1084. First I stuck the tip of the knife in a 2x4 and bent it over several time with no breakage. It pulled up chunks of wood and slightly bent. After probably 10 times, approximately 3/16 of the tip broke off. I was alternating sides, so it was working the tip back and forth. Next I put the blade about 1 1/2 inches in the vice and tried to bend it 90 degrees. As it has done before, the hardened edge broke (deferentially hardened blade). I worked it back and forth 3 times to completely break it to see the grain structure. I dont think the pictures do justice but it is a dull gray, no shimmer. I dont forge cold. I normalize ( over non-magnetic, at non-magnetic and then under non-magnetic followed by cooling down in lime until room temp). I edge quench once in canola oil at 130 degrees and let it cool down with the oil. I temper at 390 twice for 90 min. I dont have any problems with me edge holding ( no chips, no curling). I believe I have good grain structure but I want to bend 90 degrees and not have any breakage. Can I get some help.

Attached files

Posted : 19/06/2019 10:02 pm
Joshua States

Please describe your process for achieving what you call a (deferentially hardened blade). What is your quench process?

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 19/06/2019 10:11 pm
Chad Kennedy
Topic starter

I turn the lights off in the shop, heat the edge with a torch slowly constantly checking with a magnet. When I reach non-magnetic I quench only the edge in the 130 degree canola oil rocking back and forth. for about a min letting the rest of the blade cool off. Then I place the entire blade in the oil and let everything cool to room temp.

Posted : 19/06/2019 10:56 pm
Chad Kennedy
Topic starter

If anybody has any ideas on what I could do differently so that my edge won't crack, I would love to hear it.

Posted : 20/06/2019 9:25 pm
BrionTomberlin

Chad 1084 is one of the easier steels to heat treat, but it prefers a full quench. I would do a full quench then temper at 400-425. Then I would draw the spine of the blade with a propane torch with the edge in a water bath. Have about one half inch in the water the blue gray color will stop about a 1/4" above the water line. The edge quench will bend very well, but I suspect your temper was too low, and an edge quench is not the best for a knife.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 21/06/2019 9:24 pm
Chad Kennedy
Topic starter

Thanks Brion. I'll give it a shot. What temp. are you thinking I need to draw the back to? I've never done one like that. I assume not too hot if your suggesting a propane torch?

About the temper: I've never had any chipping when I temper at 390 so I assumed I was hitting the sweet spot. I figured going higher would increase the possibility of have my edge roll when testing. Is the point just to pass the bend test?

Posted : 22/06/2019 8:09 pm
Chad Kennedy
Topic starter

So I tried drawing back the spine and tempering at 400 degrees. I still have good grain structure but the blade snapped after about a 30 degree bend. I'll try a higher temp. on the temper and see how it goes.

Attached files

Posted : 29/06/2019 11:03 pm
Share: