Thickness Of A Kitc...

Notifications
Clear all

Thickness Of A Kitchen Knife Prior To Heat Treatment

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Good day. I have finally decided to try making a kitchen knife. I had a 5/16 piece of AEB-L out of which I cut out a couple of knife blanks. I have a simple propane forge setup at home, good for 1084, but not for anything more complex, so I will probably send it out to get heat treated by the professionals. My question is this - if a knife blade is about 2 inches tall near the heel and the blade is about 6 inches long, how thin can I grind it prior to heat treatment and not worry about warps? Or is it better to heat treat it as is and then grind everything?

Thank you!

Luka

Posted : 19/09/2019 8:23 pm
Joshua States

Hello Luka, I have a couple of questions for you so I can better understand what you are trying to do.

I'm not sure I understand "good for 1084, but not for anything more complex". Does this mean the forge won't get hot enough to work the steel you are using? I admit, I am not familiar with AEB-L, and most of my kitchen knives are either 1095 or W-2.

How thick are you planning for the final knife spine? Mine typically come in about 1/8 inch (.317 cm). If you are planning on getting that thin after heat treat, and you start out at 5/16 inch, (.80 cm) that's about a 60% reduction in thickness and a lot of grinding.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 19/09/2019 10:28 pm
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith

I've made some blades out of Aeb-l all kitchen knives. I would check with the heat treater my first batch I sent out I think he let me take it down to .02 inch they came back perfect. I think most people grind after heat treat(I do now) since Aeb-l is notorious for warping, if I want a .100 blade I buy .118 for example. I'm assuming you are not in the U.S. since I've never seen Aeb-l that thickness or I would say buy some more. By the way my first batch was 60-61 rc now I do 61-62.

Gilbert

Posted : 20/09/2019 9:44 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

Hello Luka, I have a couple of questions for you so I can better understand what you are trying to do.

I'm not sure I understand "good for 1084, but not for anything more complex". Does this mean the forge won't get hot enough to work the steel you are using? I admit, I am not familiar with AEB-L, and most of my kitchen knives are either 1095 or W-2.

How thick are you planning for the final knife spine? Mine typically come in about 1/8 inch (.317 cm). If you are planning on getting that thin after heat treat, and you start out at 5/16 inch, (.80 cm) that's about a 60% reduction in thickness and a lot of grinding.

Joshua, what I meant was that other steels require soaking for a certain amount of time at certain temperatures, and I found that it was pretty hard to keep a specific temperature for a prolonged length of time. Yes, I want to get down to about 1/8" and don't really want to do all the grinding after the heat treatment, so I'm curious how much I can take off prior to it.

Posted : 20/09/2019 1:42 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

I've made some blades out of Aeb-l all kitchen knives. I would check with the heat treater my first batch I sent out I think he let me take it down to .02 inch they came back perfect. I think most people grind after heat treat(I do now) since Aeb-l is notorious for warping, if I want a .100 blade I buy .118 for example. I'm assuming you are not in the U.S. since I've never seen Aeb-l that thickness or I would say buy some more. By the way my first batch was 60-61 rc now I do 61-62.

Gilbert

Gilbert, my bad, it's actually 5/32. The Imperial fractions are killing me. I will reach out to the heat treater, that's a good idea. Just curious, where did you send yours to?

Posted : 20/09/2019 2:54 pm
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Luka I used Paul Bos (Farner)heat treating (Buck knives) https://www.buckknives.com/about-knives/heat-treating/ check them out they're good if you have 20 plus blades. They did a good job and were good to work with. I'll message you an idea of someone else.

Gilbert

Posted : 20/09/2019 4:15 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Luka I used Paul Bos (Farner)heat treating (Buck knives) https://www.buckknives.com/about-knives/heat-treating/ check them out they're good if you have 20 plus blades. They did a good job and were good to work with. I'll message you an idea of someone else.

Gilbert

Gilbert, got your message. Thanks for the info!

Posted : 24/09/2019 8:03 pm
Share: