Notifications
Clear all

Bladesmithing Class

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

I will taking a bladesmithing class this fall.I was wondering what items or equipment I need to bring with me to the class? Since I am new at this want to make sure I have the correct equipment especially safety equipment.

Thankyou Michael

Posted : 07/04/2019 3:56 pm
Lin Rhea

Michael,

I'm assuming it's an Introduction to Bladesmithing course.

Apron

safety glass (eye glasses are acceptable)

gloves

hammer (if you have a preference)

dust mask

drawing pad with pencils, French curve, rule, eraser, etc.

camera

Optional:

sweat band

lip balm

hydrating drinks

One other thing: Good Attitude

The instructors show you how and explain. The willingness to put it into practice and your ability to step up and perform the work is on you. Forgive yourself the many mistakes you are going to make and stick with it, realizing that you are learning to crawl, walk, then (maybe) run. It will likely be a years long effort so it will take one other thing: Commitment.

There will be other things added to the list by others. These are some things I have thought of. I wish you success.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 08/04/2019 8:21 am

Michael,

Great question. I agree with everything Lin listed - and would, after eye and ear protection, really emphasize taking the notebook, something to write with, and something to take pictures with. You will see more things than you can learn and remember at once and the notes you take will be valuable for a long time.

I have gone back and re-read my notes from my first hammer-in and learned new things that went over my head that first time but I was ready to learn them later.

Notes from all my old hammer-ins have become really valuable to me.

Posted : 08/04/2019 2:59 pm
BrionTomberlin

Hello Michael. We have safety glasses, dust masks, and ear plugs. We also provide notepads. As Lin suggested a sketch pad can be useful. Bring an leather apron and gloves. Your favorite hammer if you have one. Same with tongs. We have hammers and tongs, but if you have favorites by all means bring them. We provide the steel and grinding belts, propane, and most of the tools needed. One thing I always say is come prepared to learn and have fun. Plus, you will make new friends. The big thing if you have never done forging before, bring pain relievers. You will need them. You will get tired, sore, maybe some small burns, but it is an experience that is hard to beat.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 08/04/2019 10:01 pm
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

One thing I would add that is not often mentioned but is a big safety issue is to make sure the cloths you bring to wear are appropriate. That means no synthetics! cotton linen or wool only, any thing else will melt in contact with heat and stick to you, turning what might have been a irritation or very minor burn into a major painfull 2-3rd deg burn. Wear comfortable boots with good protection they don't need to be steel toed but should have a thick sole to protect from stepping on sharp/hot material and leather covering up to the ankle to protect from drop hot work. (learning to use tongs meAns lots of dropped work at first)

MP

Posted : 09/04/2019 8:18 am
Miguel Angel

Lleva todas las ganas de aprender y hacer nuevos mejores amigos, el fuego, yunque y acero, forja amistades para toda la vida.

Un abrazo desde Puerto Montt, Chile.

Mi guel Angel Sanhueza Lang.
Cuchillos Artesanales Yensen
https: //www.instagra..._custom_knives/
https: //www.facebook...100006937380193
Puerto Montt
Chile

Posted : 12/04/2019 1:17 am
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Thanks for all the great info and suggestions.Always open to advice.

Posted : 13/04/2019 12:36 pm
Share: