Notifications
Clear all

New old stock belts are separating

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Has anyone had luck joining belts that are separating at the seam? 

I’m using new, but old (dry stored for ~12 years) Norton and 3M belts; 3/3 have or are separating at the seam. 

I tried to glue the tape joint with rubber cement but that failed quickly. I have 2 clamped up with a silicone based product called E6000 or something such as that. Any help is appreciated! 

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Posted : 31/03/2024 10:22 pm
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

The best advice I can give.... Throw those belts out, or use them as "strips" for hand sanding, and buy/start again. 

You're going to spend a ton of time/effort trying to keep the joints together, and the likelihood is high that they are not going to hold.   The glue joints on belts does have a "shelf life". Meaning that the "glue" holding those joints together, breaks down over time.  You're also risking your safety... If you've never had a belt "blow up" on you when grinding, consider yourself lucky. At the least, it'll force you to change your pants. At the most... Remember when Mom would say... "You're gona put an eye out with that!"   Well, there ya go.

As a side note, if the "glue" that holds belt joints has a "hold life".... that might be a lesson to think about what "glue" you use for your knife handles....just sayin. 🤔

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 01/04/2024 8:51 am
Topic starter

Thanks for your input.  I'm going to do my best to keep both peepers in good shape!!! 😆 

The glue up is pretty quick and easy, just looking for an appropriate glue that will hold and be still be pliable.  The manufacturer had to use something as such.  So it's worth a little time invested and I have enough belts on hand to make it worthwhile should I find a winner. 

No plans to use any of this stuff to glue scales.

Posted : 01/04/2024 11:07 am
Share: