Notifications
Clear all

Another Montana Guy

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Jesse_Smith
Topic starter

Hello all, and thank you for having me here!

My name is Jesse Smith. I live in Miles City, Montana. I made my first knife about three years ago from a file. It's much too embarrassing to post pics of, but I'm very thankful that I made it, because it was about the time I finished it up that I met Erik Fritz and Shane Taylor through an IDPA-style shoot that I run at my local gun club.

Had it not been for Erik and Shane encouraging me to stick with it, that probably would have been the only knife I made. Since then Erik and Shane have really taken me under their wings and have given me MANY hours of their time, spent at Shane's shop trying to make a knifemaker out of me. I can't express how grateful I am for that, and you couldn't find a couple of nicer guys.

I've been making knives through both forging and stock removal, depending on the knife. I've just recently been getting to the point where I'm making a few knives that I'm satisfied with enough to be allowed to leave my shop (even with my name on them!), some as gifts, and I've even started to sell a couple. My most pressing goal for 2016 is to hopefully replace my Harbor Freight 1x30 grinder with a TW90.

Posted : 03/01/2016 2:01 am
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Hello Jesse

I think everyone has made something that they were not pleased with, but it is a start. And with the will to do better on the next

is what makes those that try better.

I have not made a knife yet that I was completely satisfied with. My wife says I am to particular but that is just me.

You have joined a grate organization that is all about teaching, with high standards, and the willingness to help you attain that goal.

Have fun and enjoy.

Anthony Griggs

Posted : 03/01/2016 9:55 am
New Member Guest

Welcome to the ABS and the forums. You will find a wealth of information and help here.

Chris

Posted : 04/01/2016 12:50 am
Karl B. Andersen

Very cool, and welcome aboard.

(Keep your eyes on those two!)

Take advantage of every opportunity to soak up what Shane and Erik are willing to share. I promise you, they are having as much fun as you are.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 04/01/2016 10:28 am
Share: