Notifications
Clear all

Greetings From Afton Virginia.

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Guess the easiest way to do my intro, is to just paste my bio from my web site.

"My introduction to the Craft of the Blacksmith started in 1988 with the serendipitous event of walking into a small blacksmith gallery in Charlottesville, Virginia. I was instantly enthralled by the hand forged iron. I called the smith, Stephen Stokes and was invited to come to his shop the next day. After a brief tour of the shop, Stephen put me in front of an anvil and taught me how to forge a chisel and center punch. After the heat treatment, he told me "You're now free, because never again will you be beholding to any man for your tools" During the noon meal, I was shown books with the work of Robert Bakewell (Famous English Blacksmith) and the Davies Brothers (Famous Welsh Blacksmiths). By the end of the day, I realized I had met my calling, I would be a blacksmith from then on. I have craved and pursued learning the skill of the blacksmith from that time on. After our first meeting, I spent every free weekend working in Stephens shop. I say "free" as I was in the middle of a career in the Army. But once I retired from the Army, I returned to Stephen's shop and began to work for him. I spent about three and half years there, then went to Britain to spend a few months in Stephen's father's shop (Now run by his brother) After returning to the US, I opened my own studio "Wayfarer Forge". I've continued my learning by working for other smiths in the area and by taking at least one class every year. For the last nine years I've been training under the guidance of Mark Aspery. I consider myself a tool maker first and an artist second."

Adding to that, I confess my passion for forging is balanced by my dislike for the finishing. I get a blade forged and then I never get around to finishing it. I still have the blade I forged at the Jim Batson class I took three years ago and I have yet to put a handle on it. I think that in part is why I like forging axes and tools.

Posted : 05/04/2016 1:25 pm

Welcome here Gerald!

Posted : 05/04/2016 3:20 pm
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Gerald

Welcome to the ABS. I enjoyed your demonstrations at the Salt Fork Craftsmen Blacksmith Conference last fall.

Anthony Griggs

Posted : 05/04/2016 4:19 pm
Admin_DJC305

Gerald

Welcome to the American Bladesmith Society and the ABS Forum.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 05/04/2016 9:46 pm

Welcome Gerald, I live in Lynchburg VA just a few miles away. I have been making knives for nine years via stock removal process. However I just began forging knives, I am good with handles, bolsters, guards to some degeee. If you would ever like to visit my shop and work together on some please let me know.

Dean Pavia

434-941-9940

Posted : 06/04/2016 11:54 am
Trusted Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Thanks Anthony, glad you liked it. It was a lot of fun and you folks run a great conference. The whole filming and live TV was cool, although as a first timer under the mike, hearing myself was a bit disconcerting 🙂

Dean, I just might take you up on that. Maybe it will result in me getting a few blades finished.

Posted : 06/04/2016 5:27 pm
Share: