Notifications
Clear all

Hello Everyone

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Dwane Oliver
Topic starter

Hello everyone , my name is Dwane Oliver. I've been making knives for about 6-7 years. Stock removal and forging when nessesary.

I was reading an article that Mr Cashen wrote about the science behind knifemaking...heat treat , tempering etc.

I was totally blown away. I always knew you had to heat the steel to critical and quench , then temper......but the way he explained it , it just caught me , and I was engulfed. I have read that article( and everything I could find that he wrote ) probably 2-3 times in the last 3 months. I've known about the ABS for several years, but never gave it alot of thought.

I'm a self taught maker, I did go to one mans house and did some forging for a few days, some of you might know him. His name is Tai Goo , and he is an amazing little man. He said I "had the best hammer control of any student he ever had", hmmm cool I said. There are no other knife makers that live real close to where I live , so I did the next best thing. I got on the internet and read, and read, and read some more. Then I would go out to the shop and ruin steel, alot of steel. But I taught myself to freehand hollow grind in about a week.

I really like using high carbon steels like 1095 and 5160, there is a new SS called cmps30v that seems very promsing for edc type knives. I enjoy using damascus and am looking forward to building a press and learning how to make damascus. I built my own KMG copy grinder and my own forge , I love making tools that are usefull.

The wife and I recently set a "plan" for our future. Our kids are grown and we have 4 grandkids too : ). We are tired of living in the desert and would like to move somwhere greener....I think Washington will be nice in a couple of years. I am going to go full time after we move so....its time to go back to college.

I really am passionate about making knives. In the past I have made good knives, but now I want to make awesome knives. The next step was to join up here and be the best that I can be.

I am looking forward to using the skills I have acuired over the past 7 years, along with new skills I will learn here. Like hidden tang knives. I've never been a huge fan of them, but I see you guys are. SO I will learn how to make them right.

I dont speak up alot , and it seems when I do I end up getting in trouble , lol. I'm not afraid to ask questions, but prefer finding answers on my own.

I'm rambling

Thanks for letting me in your group, I hope I dont dissapoint anybody.

Dwane Oliver

9-11-01 , We Will Never Forget.

Work smarter NOT harder

Posted : 18/02/2012 11:44 pm
Admin_DJC305

Dwane

Welcome to the American Bladesmith Society and the ABS Forum! Glad to have you aboard. We are all here to continue learning and improving our skills. Please ask questions and participate in the discussions on the ABS Forum.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 19/02/2012 12:11 am
Dwane Oliver
Topic starter

Thanks alot Dan , I appreciate the welcome from you. I might have to come up an visit sometime.

Dwane

Work smarter NOT harder

Posted : 22/02/2012 9:50 am
Lin Rhea

Dwane,

From what you have already said, it sounds to me like you would fit in well. You seem to know your own mind and are "mature" enough to know when smoke is being blown your general direction. I would advise to have an open mind when it comes to the heat treat process as well as the forging to shape of your blades. A LOT of time and research has been accumulated and is available right here on the site, and think of the exciting discussions to come. We would also love to hear your experiences with forging and to see your work.

Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you. Thanks for being here. Lin

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 22/02/2012 10:59 am

Welcome aboard Dwane.

You won't find a better group to be a part of than the ABS. Glad to see ya join up.

Take care- Josh

[email protected]

Posted : 22/02/2012 11:57 am
Kevin R. Cashen

Dwane, thank you so much for the kind words and the wonderful feedback, I find it very rewarding to be able to help others advance in this craft that I have worked at for so many years myself. Welcome to the board and the ABS at large, I look forward to chatting at length with you on any and all of these topics, and feel free to contact me if you have anything specific I can help with.

Sincerely

Kevin R. Cash en

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 22/02/2012 3:59 pm
Rick Baum

Welcome aboard Dwane! Good to have you.

About 9 years ago, I lived in Tucson AZ. I called and spoke with Tai one day and he invited me out to his place to "check it out". I regret that I didn't make it out to visit with him while down there. He is definitely an artist and his own man. You did well to spend time with him. I'll bet it was an interesting time for you.

Hope to see you around the forum. I'm happy to help any way I can.

Rick

Posted : 22/02/2012 7:47 pm
Dwane Oliver
Topic starter

|quoted:

Dwane,

From what you have already said, it sounds to me like you would fit in well. You seem to know your own mind and are "mature" enough to know when smoke is being blown your general direction. I would advise to have an open mind when it comes to the heat treat process as well as the forging to shape of your blades. A LOT of time and research has been accumulated and is available right here on the site, and think of the exciting discussions to come. We would also love to hear your experiences with forging and to see your work.

Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you. Thanks for being here. Lin

Thanks Lin. I'm working on a knife between orders right now and am anxious to get it done and show you guys.

|quoted:

Welcome aboard Dwane.

You won't find a better group to be a part of than the ABS. Glad to see ya join up.

Take care- Josh

Hey Josh , thanks buddy.

|quoted:

Dwane, thank you so much for the kind words and the wonderful feedback, I find it very rewarding to be able to help others advance in this craft that I have worked at for so many years myself. Welcome to the board and the ABS at large, I look forward to chatting at length with you on any and all of these topics, and feel free to contact me if you have anything specific I can help with.

Sincerely

Kevin R. Cash en

Your very welcome sir. I'm so excited to be here ( in the ABS ). I think my wife is getting tired of hearing about it ( not really , she is very supportive )

|quoted:

Welcome aboard Dwane! Good to have you.

About 9 years ago, I lived in Tucson AZ. I called and spoke with Tai one day and he invited me out to his place to "check it out". I regret that I didn't make it out to visit with him while down there. He is definitely an artist and his own man. You did well to spend time with him. I'll bet it was an interesting time for you.

Hope to see you around the forum. I'm happy to help any way I can.

Rick

Thanks a bunch Rick. It was interesting to say the least ( the only power tool's the guy has is a bench grinder and a dremel ). I will treasure the knife I made at Tai's house forever.

Work smarter NOT harder

Posted : 23/02/2012 9:36 am
Share: