Clear all

Hello From Australia

15 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Hi all from Canberra, Australia,

I've finally decided to start the process of working towards my Journeyman testing, with a number of other Aussies having inspired me to begin.

I've been making knives since 2013, after taking a class at Tharwa Valley Forge in Canberra, a place I am now fortunate to work at. I'm a big fan of taking classes to accelerate my learning and have done a bunch with some very talented Aussies. Last year I was fortunate to take place in a Master Class with Kevin Cashen, forging a Quillon dagger and then this year with Rodrigo Sfreddo, learning keyhole handles. Both Smiths left me astounded at their skill and humbled at my distinct lack of the same, but inspired to keep improving.

While I have a long way to go and a huge step-up in my work before I'm going to be anywhere near ready, I am hoping to achieve this in the next three years so I can test as soon as I am able. Not something I feel I have to do, but having a time-frame will keep me motivated.

I do a variety of knives but enjoy forging blades most and love making and working with Damascus. I make a lot more kitchen knives than anything else but enjoy daggers and am making an effort to make more hunters in the future. Attached is a few of my latest and I look forward to chatting with some of you in the future.

Regards,

Matt

Posted : 29/04/2019 6:39 am
Lin Rhea

It looks like you have applied the things learned well Matt. I'm glad to see you here with us. Great attitude as well.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 29/04/2019 8:04 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

It looks like you have applied the things learned well Matt. I'm glad to see you here with us. Great attitude as well.

Thank you Lin, I'm looking forward to this process and enjoying working my way through the forum. What a resource!

Matt

Posted : 29/04/2019 8:43 am
Joshua States

Welcome aboard Matt. Your patterns are sweet! wish I could enlarge #3.....

A keyhole is on my list of things to try someday. Yours looks like it came out pretty nice. Good one!

When you get a chance, post up some shop pics. I am always interested in seeing what folks in other countries have access to and use.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 29/04/2019 8:07 pm
BrionTomberlin

Welcome Matthew. Nice looking work! We are glad to have another smith from down under. Do you happen to know Jackson Rumble? You have some great smiths down there. Welcome again.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 29/04/2019 8:42 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Welcome aboard Matt. Your patterns are sweet! wish I could enlarge #3.....

A keyhole is on my list of things to try someday. Yours looks like it came out pretty nice. Good one!

When you get a chance, post up some shop pics. I am always interested in seeing what folks in other countries have access to and use.

Thanks Joshua,

If you would like to PM me your email I'm happy to email you a larger resolution image.

Thanks for the welcome.

Matt

Posted : 29/04/2019 8:55 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Welcome Matthew. Nice looking work! We are glad to have another smith from down under. Do you happen to know Jackson Rumble? You have some great smiths down there. Welcome again.

Brion

Thank you for the welcome Brion,

I do know Jackson, I work with him at Tharwa Valley Forge. He is a talented fella. Handy as he does lots of R&D and I get the benefit of learning from his mistakes before I make them too!

I agree, plenty of talented smiths down here and I have a feeling there will be quite a few Aussies testing for their JS and MS in the next few years. All going to plan I can tag on the back end of that.

Regards,

Matt

Posted : 29/04/2019 8:58 pm
Topic starter

Duplicate post - deleted

Posted : 29/04/2019 9:01 pm

Welcome to the ABS Matthew. Those are great looking knives!

Want to see more of my work follow me on Instagram:JasonVolkertKnives

Want to get in touch with me [email="[email protected]"]Email[/email] me.

Posted : 29/04/2019 9:30 pm
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Matthew

Welcome to the ABS and Forum.

Anthony

Posted : 29/04/2019 9:49 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Welcome to the ABS Matthew. Those are great looking knives!

Thanks Jason, appreciate it.

Posted : 30/04/2019 5:52 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

Matthew

Welcome to the ABS and Forum.

Anthony

Thanks Anthony

Posted : 30/04/2019 5:54 am
Kevin R. Cashen

I am sorry for my late reply Matthew, but I am running in circles right now trying to met some deadlines and only now saw you post. it is great to have you onboard! I had the best time of my life at Tharwa Valley forge with you very talented knifemakers. Welcome to the forum!

Sincerely

Kevin R. Cashen

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 30/04/2019 8:52 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

I am sorry for my late reply Matthew, but I am running in circles right now trying to met some deadlines and only now saw you post. it is great to have you onboard! I had the best time of my life at Tharwa Valley forge with you very talented knifemakers. Welcome to the forum!

Sincerely

Kevin R. Cashen

Thank you for the welcome Kevin. Glad to hear you enjoyed Tharwa as much as we enjoyed having you visit! I just finished my first quillon dagger this week! Lots of stilettos made and your lessons were invaluable, but only just made a complete quillon now... definitely not going to be the last!

Regards

Matt

Posted : 01/05/2019 9:13 am

Welcome here Matthew - we are glad to have you. Those are some nice looking knives.

Posted : 01/05/2019 9:25 am
Share: