Notifications
Clear all

Hello From Buchtel Ohio

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Hi Everyone;

My name is Michael Richards, I live in a little town near Athens Ohio (Ohio Unv.).When I was about 12 years old we had a class called Metal working.We got to use a forge steel to bend to make a candle holder.Back then I was told you need to learn by a blacksmith in order to learn.That being early 60"s.Through lifes daily struggles wasn't able to find a away to get involved in blacksmithing/bladesmithing.There was one Job I did work at most guys made stock removal knives but to me wasn't way to make a knife so I didn't try.

Forge In Fire rekindled that moment when I was young. So I decided to watch some videos on You-Tube.Ran across Allen Newberry videos he talked about how he joined ABS and JS test.So that brought me here.

I joined back in Jan. 2019 since finally I have the time and place to do this.Since I took my retirement in Jan. 2019 I have more time from my nursing profession now only work one day of the week.I was reluctant to post due to not having a place start working yet.Soon as weather brakes I can build a place to work.So I have never forge a blade or anything.I think having to wait for 3 months or so before jumping right in is a good thing.I can research what tools needed and what can wait for a while. Not only watch videos J.S. and M.S. making knives but to just the basics of blacksmithing ( the correct way). think will help in long run and also save some cash.Since not many bladesmith close by or I can't contact thats close by. I decided to take Bladesmithing class this fall.Looking forward to the class.

Well I have/hope to learn/ed alot from everyone so far.

Posted : 28/03/2019 7:28 pm
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Michael

Welcome to the ABS and Forum.

Anthony

Posted : 28/03/2019 11:24 pm
Karl B. Andersen

Welcome.

That class will be something you will remember for all time going forward. And you will make new friends, as well.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 29/03/2019 8:27 am

Welcome to the forums Michael - I hope we can be helpful here.

Posted : 29/03/2019 10:32 am

Welcome to the ABS Michael

Want to see more of my work follow me on Instagram:JasonVolkertKnives

Want to get in touch with me [email="[email protected]"]Email[/email] me.

Posted : 29/03/2019 3:53 pm
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Thanks for the welcome. I am sure i will have question for you guys to answer.

Posted : 29/03/2019 9:02 pm

Welcome from a fellow Buckeye!

Posted : 02/04/2019 5:53 pm
Share: