Notifications
Clear all

Hello From Ellington Mo.

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

My name is Brian and I'm from Southeast Mo.. I'm interested in learning the art of forging and crafting blades. Thanks a lot of great info here.

Posted : 12/02/2017 8:05 pm
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Brian

Welcome to the ABS and Forum. If you can make plans to come to a Hammer-In. You will meet a lot of good people, and can learn so much. You might even think about going to an ABS school.

The Bill Moran School of Bladesmithing , is in Washington Arkansas, I am guessing it would be a 5 to 6 hour drive for you??

Anthony

Posted : 12/02/2017 8:18 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Brian

Welcome to the ABS and Forum. If you can make plans to come to a Hammer-In. You will meet a lot of good people, and can learn so much. You might even think about going to an ABS school.

The Bill Moran School of Bladesmithing , is in Washington Arkansas, I am guessing it would be a 5 to 6 hour drive for you??

Anthony

I'm actually planning on going to the class in Washington Ar in Sept. I haven't signed up yet. But I am looking foreword to it.

Posted : 12/02/2017 9:16 pm
New Member Guest

Welcome to the ABS and the ABS forums Brian. You will enjoy your class. Will you be there for the hammer in also?

Chris

Posted : 12/02/2017 10:24 pm
BrionTomberlin

Hello Brian and welcome. As Anthony said hammer ins and classes are great. There is also a whole lot of information here on the forum. Any questions, just ask away. We will be glad to help. I hope you can make the Intro class at Old Washington in September. I will be one of your instructors and look forward to seeing you there.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 12/02/2017 10:36 pm
Topic starter

I checked the dates on that hammer-in. I will be trying to attend. Looks like there will be a lot of good classes to attend. Are you allowed to take notes?

Posted : 12/02/2017 11:51 pm
New Member Guest

I recommend taking notes, pictures and whatever method you can use to make the best use of your experience. Ask questions, draw diagrams, make friends and enjoy it. I found my notes and sketches from the first hammer in I attended the other day. Ron Newton MS was teaching the Judging and Standards class which I found to be incredibly helpful, even in reviewing my notes.

I hope you do get to attend the September intro class, Brion is very knowledgeable and would definitely be an instructor I would hope for if I were able to make room for an intro class in my schedule. Brion has been very helpful and approachable when I have had questions.

Chris

Posted : 13/02/2017 12:38 am

Welcome Brian! I don't live too far from you. I currently live in Barnhart MO just south of St Louis. You're welcome to come up and visit my forge anytime. As the rest have stated the intro to bladesmithing is fantastic. Also, Brion is accommodating and loves to help. Likes pies from the bbq joint there in town too. You should sign up as soon as your able to for the class. They tend to fill up very quickly. Local food is good, luckily you will hammer enough over the two weeks to work it off. Feel free to contact me as well for any questions or help!

Matthew

Oh take a look at this thread by Mastersmith MIke WIlliams

http://www.americanbladesmith.com/ipboard/index.php?/topic/155-preparing-for-classes/

Posted : 15/02/2017 2:19 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Welcome Brian! I don't live too far from you. I currently live in Barnhart MO just south of St Louis. You're welcome to come up and visit my forge anytime. As the rest have stated the intro to bladesmithing is fantastic. Also, Brion is accommodating and loves to help. Likes pies from the bbq joint there in town too. You should sign up as soon as your able to for the class. They tend to fill up very quickly. Local food is good, luckily you will hammer enough over the two weeks to work it off. Feel free to contact me as well for any questions or help!

Matthew

Oh take a look at this thread by Mastersmith MIke WIlliams

http://www.americanbladesmith.com/ipboard/index.php?/topic/155-preparing-for-classes/

I sent my tuition in for the Sept 25th class. Looking foreword to going.

Posted : 21/02/2017 4:07 pm
Share: