Notifications
Clear all

Hello from Maryland

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Howdy, my name is Ronald, I currently live in MD with my wife and kids. I'm retired Army and have taken a few of those half day blacksmithing classes around here in MD and in NOVA for fun with friends. My youngest son is super interested in the craft, so that got me more interested in learning more about both blacksmithing and bladesmithing.

Oddly enough, I grew up in Vivian, LA before I joined the military back in 2000. The same Vivian, LA that Bill Bagwell was from. I knew him, in my youth, and shot skeet with him. He was just another one of the older dudes there that us young folk listened to. I had absolutely no idea what a legend he is in this community. 

Looking forward to learning more stuff.

Posted : 24/08/2023 10:49 am
Topic starter

Thanks so much for the resources. We actually have quite a few friends down in the Staunton, VA area, so the VA Institute of Blacksmithing classes are looking mighty appealing.

Posted : 24/08/2023 6:09 pm
Richard Carpenter

Good afternoon, Ronald!

I'd like to suggest reaching out to Dave Collier at Broken Hammer Forge ( http://www.brokenhammerforge.com/) in Henderson, MD, on the Eastern Shore.  He offers weekend-long classes where he demonstrates and then you put into practice.  I've taken both his 'Intro to Blacksmithing' and his 'Intro to Bladesmithing' classes and they've helped me get started, and I found I learned more than in some half-day demos/classes that I've gone to.

Have fun, be safe, and good luck!

Posted : 25/08/2023 2:38 pm
Topic starter

Good to know! I haven't really looked out that way, so I had no idea. My wifes uncle has a farm out there near the DE state line just south of there, so similar to the stuff down in VA, it's pretty convenient. 

Posted : 25/08/2023 3:39 pm
Share: