Notifications
Clear all

Hello From Nh

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
New Member Guest

Hello Everyone!

I actually joined last December, but completely forgot to post here! My name is Michael (Mike) Thompson, and I am trying to learn bladesmithing. I started learning from a friend of a friend who does historical stuff, and got hooked. I've read several books, watched a ton of you tube videos, and even purchased J. Neilson's Videos. Due to time restrictions I haven't had as much time as I'd like to pursue the craft, but now that summer has arrived I am hopeful I can carve off more time. I built a propane forge last fall, and have just about everything I need for a coal forge as well. I have yet to finish a knife, but every time I work on one I do it better, and learn a lot. Right now I keep getting messed up grinding bevels! I am going to the New England Hammer in on July 14th, 2017 and hope to meet makers from VT & NH there. It would also be great to connect with some folks through the forums who I could learn from/with.

Posted : 03/07/2017 5:09 pm
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Michael

Welcome to the ABS and Forum, grinding just takes practice,practice,and more practice. Hammer-In's are a great place to meet other makers and learn. I always try and go to the Piney Woods

Hammer-In and I always learn something new. Enjoy!! Also check around to see if there is a state knife makers club. They sometimes have meetings that are a good place to pickup knowledge.

Anthony

Posted : 03/07/2017 7:09 pm
New Member Guest

Welcome to the ABS and The ABS Forums Mike. You should be able to learn quite a bit from attending Hammer-ins, not to mention meeting some great people. I look forward to a report about the hammer-in from your perspective.

Chris

Posted : 04/07/2017 6:54 pm
Lin Rhea

Welcome to the forum Mike. The New England boys have got a good thing going. Their hammer in is as good as any. Let us know what we can do to help you.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 05/07/2017 8:37 am
BrionTomberlin

Welcome Mike. You will enjoy the hammer in. A lot of good instructors, it will be a blast. Have fun.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 05/07/2017 8:08 pm
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Welcome, Mike!

This is a great place for new makers like us! I've learned so many things reading back through the old discussions.

I have had the same problem with grinding my bevels and even used a bubble jig for awhile. It worked pretty good, but I still wasn't getting them perfect. I recently had the opportunity of working with a master bladesmith after just one afternoon, he had me grinding free hand.

I'm still perfecting my bevels, but I'm way ahead of where I was before.

Good luck and I'm sure that you'll get tons of great info at the hammer-in!

Posted : 07/07/2017 8:07 am
Share: