Notifications
Clear all

Hi From Iowa!

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Steven Herrnstadt
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Although I've been a member just since August 17, I'm just now registering for the forum. Yes, I'm a lurker.

I've been doing metal work for a few years and tried my hand at blade forging as part of my fine art and my design work, got hooked but things were going too slowly. Last August and September I was finally able to get some time off and save for, tuition to take the ABS intro class up at the NESM with Brion Tomberlin, and a handle, guard, fit and finish intermediate class with Timothy Potier, also got to learn from Nick Rossi during that time. While in Maine I got to spend quality time with Ben Brader and with Howard Clark when I got back home.

I learned more in three to four weeks than I had in the previous 4 years. I learned as much after class listening and questioning at dinner, etc. as I did in class.

Each of them is a great person, excellent teacher and obviously a tremendous Blade Smith. And every time I speak with one of them I learn more, or at least get some realistic perspective on my progress and valuable crits.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this path of successes and failures on the way to my JS stamp and beyond.

I've been a teacher for 38 years and I am impressed with the mission, dedication and inclusiveness demostrated by the ABS.

I also tend to ramble on when I write so I'll stop here.

But feel free to visit my site at residentmammal.com

Steven H

Posted : 18/03/2018 9:00 pm
BrionTomberlin

Welcome to the forum Steven. And thank you! As you know there is a lot of information here, but if there is something particular you question, ask away. That was a great class up there and Mongo says hi.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 18/03/2018 10:34 pm
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Steven

Welcome to the ABS and Forum.

Anthony

Posted : 19/03/2018 8:12 am
Share: