Notifications
Clear all

John Hege

8 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

My Name is John Hege, I'm a mostly retired auto mechanic in the foothills of North Carolina. I got started in knife making when Tommy McNabb brought an old m40 Volvo transmission into the shop where I was working. While I wish I'd begun like some of these new kids who are getting started when they're 16 years old, my involvement in Knife Making was timely because I got started about the same time the ABS began working with Haywood County Community College.

I visited the first hammer-in in Waynesville and sat in on the class about ABS Blade judging. Greg Neely was teaching and he drew a few knives on the board to illustrate what they didn't want to see. All of his drawings looked like at least one of the knives I had already made.

Long story short, I got my Journeyman stamp at the Blade Show last week. I was thrilled to have passed, but during the process of making my five knives (it was actually about a dozen or more, only five were completed successfully) I could see how much my work was improving. I'm looking forward to developing my craft and trying for my MS.

Posted : 08/06/2013 7:40 am
Lin Rhea

Welcome to the forum and Congratulations on achieving your stamp. Greg Neely played a large role in helping me progress as I struggled through my first years of knife making. I'll always be grateful.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 08/06/2013 9:16 am
BrionTomberlin

Welcome to the forum John and congratulations on your JS. Yes when you are making those knives you are amazed at what you start seeing and how much your eye improves.

Welcome again.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 08/06/2013 10:42 am
JonathanKim

howdy john,

welcome aboard!

-jonathan

Posted : 08/06/2013 8:25 pm
Admin_DJC305

John

Welcome to the ABS Forum and congratulations again on your Journeyman Smith rating earned at the Blade Show in Atlanta.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 08/06/2013 9:07 pm

Welcome, and congratulations.

God has given me all that I have, how can I not give him all that I have.

Pitt

Pit and Hammer Forgeworks

Walker La

Posted : 09/06/2013 8:41 am
Steve Culver
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith/ABS Instructor

Congratulations on passing the JS test!!! And welcome to the ABS Forum!!

Posted : 10/06/2013 8:04 pm
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith

Congratulations John!!! Welcome to the forum...

Posted : 12/06/2013 10:01 pm
Share: