Notifications
Clear all

New Apprentice Lower Bucks County Pa

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Howdy all

Brand new apprentice rank here, from Philadelphia and now living in Bucks County PA. I’ve been working with metal on and off professionally for over twenty years but just got serious about bladesmithing. I do leather work too. I had a big Peter Wright kicking around and finally set up a forge this year. I have some training in blacksmithing, silversmithing. I do fabrication, tig, mig, torch, lathe, a little milling, but I basically know nothing about bladesmithing and have an especially embarrassing lack of knowledge concerning modern knifemakers, designs, and styles.

At my forge I’m trying everything- different profiles, handle constructions, forge welding, materials, and having a lot of fun. I’m eager to learn as much as I can about the history of design, technique, and great & important makers.

I started making and selling simple knives to fund equipment. They’re not terrible but they are humble. They bought me a 2x72 but my skill, patience, and time invested need to increase greatly if I ever want to pay for or make a decent hydraulic press or power hammer. I bought the five year apprentice membership with the goal of being ready to apply for a journeyman ranking when I’m eligible.

I contactacted a local (3hr drive) MS and offered to shovel coal, sweep up, clean the bathroom, or at least buy lunch in hopes of occasional correspondence and as a gesture of goodwill and humility. I work in a trade now where hopeful apprentices are often cocky, entitled, grow like weeds, and disappear just as fast.

I would love to hear any suggestions for books, especially on bladesmiths in the modern era 1800+ but I love earlier history as well. I have the machinery’s handbook but any great metallurgy books or construction books concerning our craft would be great to find out about.

Not sure if social media links are allowed- I have pics of recent work on facebook.

Thanks for having me!

Kevin Cunningham

Posted : 05/03/2021 12:34 am

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the ABS and the forum. Tons of great content on the forum that so many have shared!

Instagram @drunken.bladesmith

Posted : 05/03/2021 1:38 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the ABS and the forum. Tons of great content on the forum that so many have shared!

Thanks Matt yeah I’m doing lots of reading here!

Posted : 05/03/2021 6:08 pm
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Kevin

Welcome to the ABS and Forum.

Anthony

Posted : 06/03/2021 11:20 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

Kevin

Welcome to the ABS and Forum.

Anthony

Thanks!!

Posted : 06/03/2021 3:06 pm
Share: