Notifications
Clear all

New Guy Checking In

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Michael Davis
Topic starter

Hello ABS! My Name is Mike Davis and i have been into knife making since November. I figured the best way to advance my skills was to get involved with a great organization! I look forward to my time spent here and also the friends i will make along the way.

Thanks

Mike

Posted : 02/07/2011 6:08 pm
Lin Rhea

Glad to have you with us Mike. Let us know if we can help. Lin

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 02/07/2011 7:29 pm
BrionTomberlin

Hello Mike and welcome to the ABS and the forum. Any questions can be posted here on the forum and someone will answer. Glad to have you and I hope to see you at some event in the future.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 02/07/2011 7:57 pm

Welcome and you won't regret joining. I've been at it about the same amount of time as you and I can't begin to say how helpful the ABS guys have been for me. Never think a question is too basic-you'll get some great answers and advice.

Jeremy

Jeremy Lindley, Apprentice Smith

Posted : 02/07/2011 9:17 pm
Michael Davis
Topic starter

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Sorry for the short post, i was at work. I have forged most of the blades i have made, but would like to get my skill to the level of being comfortable forging them all. I come from an art background, and think this carries over well into knife making....well at least designing. I will work hard to keep my knives up to ABS standards in every aspect.

Thanks again

Mike D.

Posted : 02/07/2011 11:55 pm
Admin_DJC305

Mike:

Welcome to the American Bladesmith Society and the ABS Forum. I saw that you joined this afternoon and I approved your registration for the Forum.

Please ask any questions that you have about bladesmithing and I am sure that you find the advice that you need on the ABS Forum. Also please take advantage of the video clips that I have uploaded on the ABS YouTube Channel and the "Techniques" section on the ABS Website.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 03/07/2011 2:11 am
Steve Culver
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith/ABS Instructor

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the ABS Forum! With an art background, you should have a good start on designing. Perhaps you'll have some tips to post in that area!

Posted : 03/07/2011 9:12 am
Eminent Member Journeyman Bladesmith

Hello everyone. My name is Bill Kirkes and I guess it's time I introduced myself. I've always liked playing with knives and usually got myself into trouble when I was a kid. I used to play "pocket swap" in my youth (that's a distant memory)and got a Buck one time. Still got it! I've fooled around a few times making knives out of old files. (and new ones). I made my dad wish he'd never bought that old grinder! Anyway, I joined the ABS in the fall of 2008 and sure made all those mastersmiths and journeymen feel like they were great fishermen, cause I sure got hooked! Well, I just made journeyman in San Antonio last week and there is certainly a lot of folks to thank for what they "are" teaching me, because I realize there's a lot of learning ahead! Some of you I've met and know personaly. The rest it's good to meet you "electronicaly". I look forward to talking with you here and hopefully meeting you personaly at a show or hammer-in.

Posted : 06/02/2012 1:17 am
Admin_DJC305

Bill:

Welcome to the ABS Forum and congratulations again on earning your Journeyman Smith rating in San Antonio.

I am glad to see you participating on the ABS Forum. Also please take advantage of the video clips that I have uploaded on the ABS YouTube Channel and the "Techniques" section on the ABS Website.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 06/02/2012 1:26 am
BrionTomberlin

Welcome Bill, good to see you here and congratulations. I will probably see you at Little Rock.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 06/02/2012 12:50 pm
Share: