Notifications
Clear all

The William F. Moran Muesum & Foundation, Inc.

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Robert Wilson
New Member Associate/Collector (5yr)
Topic starter

Greetings ABS Members from the Moran Foundation.

I would like to give the ABS an update about The foundation and changes that have been recently made. So let me start by saying for those of you who may not be aware that Jay & Nancy Henderickson have stepped down from their official positions as President and Treasurer for the foundation. They have promised they are not going away, but will continue to be very involved. I cannot give enough praise to these two, the time, effort and personal sacrifices they have made to make this organization a reality is beyond what any of us could imagine. I could however say that their service was done out of selflessness and love for Bill, his legacy and the craft and art of the forged blade. I firmly believe that without their dedication, direction and skills this letter would not be read right now. So to Jay & Nancy I say thank you for what you have done and how you have done it, you leave the foundation in a positive and wonderful position where we will build upon the steps you have laid.

In early December I received a call from Jay explaining that he was ready to step down as President and would I consider stepping up to fill the position? I’m not sure if I was able to speak right away or not, but my immediate concern was one for the foundation. Was this in the best interest (that is to say, not being a knife maker) for the foundation? Jay assured me that because one is a knife maker does not make that person able to run a board or organization. So my answer was Yes!! I am so deeply humbled by this request that words to express my excitement and appreciation are hard to come by. It is a challenge that I am looking forward to. The board has made the decision that we will have term limits in this position of 2 years with an additional 2 years if so elected by the board. These are big shoes I am to fill, but with a great support staff from the board of directors, we are ready to hit the ground running. Along with this change we found ourselves with the vacancy of the Vice Presidents position. After surveying the board for recommendations, it is my pleasure to announce one of our directors on our board Mr. Tyler Estler has accepted this position, thank you Tyler. I am looking forward working with Tyler as we “forge” ahead.

Below is an excerpt from a letter from Jay to the Moran Membership this year...

"Today, February 12th, 2016, as I write our Spring Newsletter, it will have been ten years since Bill Moran’s passing. At that time, you may recall Bill’s Estate was to be given to a local Historical Society named “Landmarks”. Without going into great detail this did not happen. It was at this time that the William F. Moran Jr. Foundation & Museum was officially established and Incorporated with myself as President. A Board of Directors was named and with thanks to Jean Buchen, our Lawyer, Federal Incorporated documents and Foundation By-Laws were put into place. As we celebrate this milestone date, I think Bill would be very pleased with the accomplishments and progress that have been made at his shop and property. The entire site is in great physical shape (like brand new condition) and the Foundation is financially sound and we are poised for a healthy future. I would be remiss if I did not mention our greatest 2015 accomplishment of creating the recent Moran Book, “Forever a Legend”, an outstanding tribute to Bill Moran who inspired so many bladesmiths throughout his lifetime. My personal thanks go to everyone for all the work and support that has been provided by our Directors and Members over the past decade"

Again this year The Moran Foundation will have a booth at the Blade Show in Atlanta to sell our new book “Forever a Legend” and “Master of the Forge”. My wife Debbie and I will be in attendance and at the booth.

I will also be the Auctioneer for the ABS Auction again this year. Hope to see many of you there.

As I assume my new position, I will continue to strive to grow the Foundation with our Mission Statement foremost in mind. Our mission Statement simply stated is as follows:

“The purpose of the William F. Moran, Jr. Museum and Foundation is to educate preserve and promote the ancient art and craft of hand forged knives and tools used in Bladesmithing, and to establish a William F. Moran, Jr. Museum for the collection and presentation of hand forged knives and Blacksmith Metalwork and to preserve the Moran Forge as a working Bladesmith Shop”.

I know this has been a long letter, but one of importance I believe as we work together to "Keep the Forge Fires Burning"

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wilson

Posted : 02/05/2016 11:24 pm
Share: