Clear all

West Virginia bladesmith

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the ABS forums, and wanted to introduce myself. I'm an apprentice member, hoping to develop the skills to one day test for my journeyman. I live in Franklin, WV, a little town in the eastern panhandle of WV. I started bladesmithing in my teens, and was mentored by Larry Harley and Ron Claibourne in TN. Daniel Winkler was also kind enough to let me visit his shop for a day, though I'm sure he wouldn't remember me. My shop went into storage and bladesmithing went on hold for first college, and then a job, marriage, kids, and about twenty years of life. But I now finally live in a home with shop space, and my eight-year old son is interested in learning with me, so we have set up our shop and are having a blast making knives again. I look forward to learning from you all here!

I'm also curious to know if there is anywhere on the ABS site that lists mastersmiths by location. I seem to remember that from before, but can't find it now. Burt Foster has been a great help to us as we've gotten back into the bladesmithing world, but is still about six hours drive from our new home. My job often takes me to the Louisville, KY, and so I'd be very interested in finding master smiths that live in that area or between WV and western KY. I'm always looking for someone to provide feedback on my knives, and Lord willing to one day help me take my journeyman performance test.

Thanks!

Josh

Posted : 06/01/2022 11:24 am
Kevin R. Cashen
Estimable Member Admin

Hello Josh, 

First, me welcome you to the forum.  A list of MS in your state can be provided upon request, but when putting together the new Website we ran in to an issue of many members requesting that we not share certain information, such as address, publicly.  What you ask for would be an easy thing to do, but until we can find a way to respect those members privacy it has to be handled carefully.   

Posted : 06/01/2022 5:32 pm
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Thanks Kevin! I totally understand about the privacy issue. Is there someone I can direct a private request to for MS in my area? 

Posted : 06/01/2022 6:27 pm
Share: