Notifications
Clear all

Borax Free Flux?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I reasently bough the atlas mini forge and am loving it, however do to the firebrick used to make it i can not use borax flux with it so im wondering what are some alternat forms of flux i can use that does not use borax?

Posted : 06/04/2017 4:07 pm
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Kevin, I have got away from using borax also. I keep some around just in case. I soak my billets in a 5 gal. Bucket of parts washing fluid. When I start my first stack on the billet I grind each piece clean then stick weld the ends and the handle on. Let it cool off then into the fluid. Go from the fluid to the forge for first heat under a neutral flame in the forge, I will not take it out of the forge till it's time to set the weld. After getting a good weld I will cut clean up and restack for the second weld and repeat the process. Just make shure you let it cool off enough before going into the fluid you don't want a bucket of parts washing fluid catching fire in the shop. This is just one way to keep from using borax to make a weld. Landon

Posted : 06/04/2017 8:08 pm
Noble Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Kevin,

If you have a good reducing environment in the forge, using a flux isn't a necessity. I haven't used flux in several years. Adjust the gas flow to the forge so that you have a six inch flame coming out of the door.

Posted : 06/04/2017 8:38 pm
Karl B. Andersen

I've used kerosene many times. A higher flash point than cleaning type fluids so a bit safer. About 50 degrees higher.

Of course if you do it outside or just put it in under the surface quickly where there is no oxygen, it's safer that way, too.

All that said, I still use flux regularly. A thick layer of clay cat littler absorbs the molten flux quite well.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 07/04/2017 1:27 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

I've used kerosene many times. A higher flash point than cleaning type fluids so a bit safer. About 50 degrees higher.

Of course if you do it outside or just put it in under the surface quickly where there is no oxygen, it's safer that way, too.

All that said, I still use flux regularly. A thick layer of clay cat littler absorbs the molten flux quite well.

do you thing some terracotta would work, i have some sitting around. eather way ill have to make something that is long enought to get to the back of my forge thanks for the tip. =)

Posted : 16/04/2017 5:35 am
Share: