Notifications
Clear all

Canester Damascus

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter

Ok i am just waiting on a replacement welder from amazon as they sent me a stick welder instead of the MIG welder i ordered (I hate stick welders with a firery passion that outshines the fires of hell) however i got a 30% discount on the LE. However thanks to amazon using decimals i ordered 1/8th inch square wall tubing insted of something smaller. so I am wondering if i can use thin wall pipe instead of square tubing? i figure it would give a more unique pattern compared to using a square tube.

Posted : 07/03/2018 4:19 pm
Lin Rhea

Kevin, I'll try to address the root question if I understand it correctly. Can you use thin wall pipe? Maybe,... probably... under the right conditions, which I might add, you are or should be in control of. If you don't see anyone else using it, there might be a reason which you will likely understand soon enough.

Now, as far as the shape of pipe (round), there is a reason not to use it, unless you're just wanting a random pattern, which negates the entire reason for the canister technique. If I wanted a random pattern, I would not canister the billet. Usually, a pattern needs to start square and remain square so the initial pattern is maintained. It merely projects outward. If you use round pipe, you will have to square it in the drawing process, unless you reinvent the wheel as it were, and you immediately lost the integrity of the image pattern.

I realize that when one has not performed a technique, the desire to do it that way might be strong. You may have to get it out of your system and you might be pleasantly surprised at the result.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 08/03/2018 9:29 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

Kevin, I'll try to address the root question if I understand it correctly. Can you use thin wall pipe? Maybe,... probably... under the right conditions, which I might add, you are or should be in control of. If you don't see anyone else using it, there might be a reason which you will likely understand soon enough.

Now, as far as the shape of pipe (round), there is a reason not to use it, unless you're just wanting a random pattern, which negates the entire reason for the canister technique. If I wanted a random pattern, I would not canister the billet. Usually, a pattern needs to start square and remain square so the initial pattern is maintained. It merely projects outward. If you use round pipe, you will have to square it in the drawing process, unless you reinvent the wheel as it were, and you immediately lost the integrity of the image pattern.

I realize that when one has not performed a technique, the desire to do it that way might be strong. You may have to get it out of your system and you might be pleasantly surprised at the result.

Thank you for the words of wisdom. i actually enjoy working with round stock and seeing as i do not own a press or power hammer i would need to draw it out by hand anyway. I managed to find some .065 square tubing on amazon that will be here monday. however for now i can make a few canisters from the legs of a bandsaw i had to return as i just could not get it to cut strait. I could not find them at the time i was setting up a box to ship it.

Posted : 09/03/2018 4:31 pm
Share: