Notifications
Clear all

Fire And Ice

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Bill Wiggins
Eminent Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Hi Everyone,

I have been talking damascus with a couple buddies and the pattern fire and ice came up. As I remember, Tim Foster use to do it fairly often. I also believe he demonstated it at Tannehill. I was there, but just cant remember how it was done. Seems like it was a three bar composite of different layer counts of W pattern put together. Does anyone know any more about it?

Bill Wiggins

Posted : 09/05/2012 7:22 pm
Dale Huckabee

Bill I took an advanced damascus class that Tim taught. I made a billet of fire and water damascus and it took three days to make. At the time Tim said that I was the second person, other than himself, that had made the billet successfully. You're right about the three bars. Two "W" bars and one straigh layer bar. The two "W's" are on the outside. It's a lot more complicated than I can explain here. A lot of cut, grind, etch, stack and weld. One bar turned the wrong way and it's all over.

Dale

Dale Huckabee

Journeyman Smith

dalehuckabeeknives.weebly.com

Posted : 14/05/2012 10:11 pm
Bill Wiggins
Eminent Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

|quoted:

Bill I took an advanced damascus class that Tim taught. I made a billet of fire and water damascus and it took three days to make. At the time Tim said that I was the second person, other than himself, that had made the billet successfully. You're right about the three bars. Two "W" bars and one straigh layer bar. The two "W's" are on the outside. It's a lot more complicated than I can explain here. A lot of cut, grind, etch, stack and weld. One bar turned the wrong way and it's all over.

Dale

Thanks Dale. I thought 3 bars was part of it.

Bill

Posted : 16/05/2012 1:45 pm
Steve Culver
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith/ABS Instructor

Hey Bill,

How about just giving Tim a call. Or send him an email. His contact information is on the ABS web site.

Posted : 16/05/2012 2:24 pm
Share: