Notifications
Clear all

Making Damascus Without A Welder

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Travis
Topic starter

I am wanting to try to make some Damascus with a hydraulic press but I don't have access to a welder at the present time. I figure that I can tie the bundles together with some bailing wire or something similar, but I am trying to figure out what to do about a handle... I was wondering if anyone had any advice or ideas.

Posted : 01/06/2014 1:33 pm
Noble Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Travis,

Something that you can do is to leave one (or more) of the middle layers of the stack 2-4' long rather than cutting it to 6" like the rest of the layers.

Gary

Posted : 01/06/2014 5:17 pm
Rob Watson

|quoted:

Travis,

Something that you can do is to leave one (or more) of the middle layers of the stack 2-4' long rather than cutting it to 6" like the rest of the layers.

Gary

Good idea Gary , thanks for sharing that , appreciate it !

[font="Comic Sans MS"]'Never Quit On Improving'[/font]

Posted : 01/06/2014 10:41 pm
Travis
Topic starter

Good idea. I will probably do that until I can get a welder.

Posted : 02/06/2014 6:16 pm
Noble Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Glad that will help. Just remember to leave them in the forge with the layers vertical so that the handle layers don't slump.

Gary

Posted : 02/06/2014 6:46 pm

Tongs?

Don Hanson III

My link

Posted : 03/06/2014 12:38 pm
Travis
Topic starter

Don,

I have tongs but I don't think they will hold all that large of a stack of steel. I will probably just keep one section 6 inches long and then hold that end with the tongs. Eventually I will pick up a welder and be good to go. Thanks

Posted : 03/06/2014 5:59 pm
Joshua States

I realise that I'm coming in late to this conversation, but here's an idea. Take a long piece of 1/2 inch square rod and forge the end out flat and as wide as the pieces in your stack. It should look something like a long skinny spatula. This will become the handle. Now when you stack you billet on top of the spatula, take a piece of stainless heat treat foil, oxidize it with a hand held propane torch, and put it on top of the spatula first. I have never found anything that will weld to a piece of oxidized heat treat foil and use it regularly to isolate stuff that I smelt down in steel crucibles. Wire your stack onto the top of the spatula and proceed. When you are ready to make your fold, take it off of the spatula, cut it in half, and restack it on top using another piece of foil. BTW, I've never tried this, but I think it's worth a shot.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 15/06/2014 10:02 pm
Travis
Topic starter

Thanks for the reply's everyone. In the end I just decided to buy a welder lol. I have wanted one for quite a while for this and other projects so I figured now was as good a time as any.

Posted : 20/06/2014 9:02 pm
Share: