Stainless For Forge...

Notifications
Clear all

Stainless For Forge Welding

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I have a project in mind and looking for considerations on how to choose an appropriate steel. I am going to be getting some whiskey barrels and want to make themed steak knife sets. I'd like to use the barrel hoops to jacket some stainless steel for the blades. What I've found so far is that the hoops are typically galvanized iron. The barrels I'm getting have rusted rings so I'm not sure the depth of galvanization, but will be cleaning the surfaces thoroughly before attempting to forge weld.

When choosing a stainless steel for the core, what characteristics/composition should I be looking for to set up a potentially good forge weld?

Any direction would be appreciated!

Posted : 10/06/2019 12:49 pm

I think you will have better luck if you used a carbon steel as the core. I also wouldn't forge anything that is galvanized even if I tried to clean it off I wouldn't do it. Ifthere rusted they might not be galvanized. I don't know anything about whiskey barrels but I would think the strap would be plain steel. I would be scared if the hoops were galvanized might poison the whiskey. lol. Anyway if you do it post some pic's of it

Jason

Want to see more of my work follow me on Instagram:JasonVolkertKnives

Want to get in touch with me [email="[email protected]"]Email[/email] me.

Posted : 10/06/2019 9:00 pm

A little barrel construction info for you:

The hoops are galvanized but the aging process of the whiskey essentially has the same effect that vinegar does on galvanization. After a while of holding the staves together and being in constant contact with them and in turn the whiskey, the galvanization is gassed off allowing them to rust. Normally after a round of aging, the barrel is either re-hooped to be used for aging something other than whiskey or taken out of service. None of this is a problem with the drink-ability of the whiskey as the staves also act like a filter.

Most if not all of the galvanization would be gone, but I'd be worried about how far down the rust gone into the metal. If using it for a jacket it would probably be ok, but I'd definitely give it a good inspection after a very good cleaning. Still yet, like Jason said, forging something galvanized is not a good idea.

Source: Family members that work at a cooperage. https://speysidebci.com/

Posted : 11/06/2019 6:57 am

That's interesting info

Posted : 11/06/2019 11:38 am
Topic starter

Thank you Jason and Andy. I picked up the barrel this weekend and will be breaking it down soon. As The hoops do not look to be in bad condition, but do have some surface rust. So let's say that they are in good enough condition to clean and use for cladding. I really want the core steel to stand out and plan to FeCl etch and then coffee darken the knives for the aesthetic I'm looking for.

Would I have more success forge welding the hoop material to a carbon steel medium and then to stainless core? So the composition would be something like this: (Hoop)-(1084)-(440C)-(1084)-(Hoop)

Or is there a stainless steel that could be forge weld friendly with the iron?

Posted : 17/06/2019 2:24 pm

I'm really not sure of the answer so hopefully somebody can tell you for sure. I have never tried forging stainless steel like 440c. I know forging "stainless knife steels" isn't easy.

Posted : 17/06/2019 4:40 pm
Topic starter

I think what I'm going to do is use 15n20 instead of stainless. That should make the forge welding more manageable and will display the contrast I'm looking for.

Posted : 18/06/2019 2:54 pm

Sounds like a plan! Post some pics of the finished piece when done.

Posted : 18/06/2019 9:16 pm
Share: