Notifications
Clear all

Twist Damascus

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

I forge welded up 120 layers of 1080/15N20 into a 3/4” square billet. Then heated to welding temperature and twisted the billet. The ridges were approximately 1/4” apart. Then I ground all the ridges off, leaving a round billet. I then forged that round down to approximately 5/16”. At that point I began seeing spiraling fractures in the edge of the billet. Did I forge too much at one time on the flat? I’m thinking I should have alternated between the face and edge in smaller increments. Can’t tell yet how deep those cracks go. Maybe all is not lost. Thoughts?

Posted : 11/04/2018 6:00 pm
Chad Kennedy
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith

Hey Joey. Are you seeing these fractures when its hot or cold? If its when its hot you might have a problem. If you are seeing it while its cold it could just be that you didn't grind as deep as you thought. Let us know what you find out.

Posted : 11/04/2018 10:09 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Hey Joey. Are you seeing these fractures when its hot or cold? If its when its hot you might have a problem. If you are seeing it while its cold it could just be that you didn't grind as deep as you thought. Let us know what you find out.

Actually I think the fractures are only skin deep and so far can be ground out. Guess I didn’t grind the ridges deep enough. Thanks for your input!

Posted : 11/04/2018 11:30 pm
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Next time after your 120 layers are welded, forge the billet round before twisting and you can save some material. It will give a slight variation on the pattern but if you try to do a tight twist it will keep the corners from tearing apart and having to grind them or forge them back into the billet.

Posted : 12/04/2018 12:45 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Next time after your 120 layers are welded, forge the billet round before twisting and you can save some material. It will give a slight variation on the pattern but if you try to do a tight twist it will keep the corners from tearing apart and having to grind them or forge them back into the billet.

I will try that—makes sense. Will the 4 legged stars only appear on the edge? How do I get them on the face of the blade?

Posted : 12/04/2018 3:41 pm
New Member Guest

Posted : 18/04/2018 9:31 am
Karl B. Andersen

|quoted:

I will try that—makes sense. Will the 4 legged stars only appear on the edge? How do I get them on the face of the blade?

Keep in mind that the "star" is down in the center of the steel. Where it ends up will depend on how tightly you twist your bar and how far toward final dimension you forge it and stretch things out.

Also, how much stock material is removed during grinding to get to the center.

One would think it is so simple.

Think of it this way - if you forged your blade 1/2" thick and then ground away .150" on each side, you'd end up with great big "stars"!!! on the side of your knife.

But, on the other hand, if you forged your blade really thin, almost to your final dimension, you might never reveal a star at all. It would be in the center of your steel and you'd never get to it.

Crazy stuff.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 18/04/2018 7:01 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Keep in mind that the "star" is down in the center of the steel. Where it ends up will depend on how tightly you twist your bar and how far toward final dimension you forge it and stretch things out.

Also, how much stock material is removed during grinding to get to the center.

One would think it is so simple.

Think of it this way - if you forged your blade 1/2" thick and then ground away .150" on each side, you'd end up with great big "stars"!!! on the side of your knife.

But, on the other hand, if you forged your blade really thin, almost to your final dimension, you might never reveal a star at all. It would be in the center of your steel and you'd never get to it.

Crazy stuff.

It is crazy stuff, but I love it! Thanks for the insight Karl!

Posted : 21/04/2018 4:43 pm
Share: