Notifications
Clear all

A Good Book?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I'm trying to find a good book that explains the metallurgy of blade steels. Suppliers all list the composition of their steels and I'd like to have a better understanding of what it all means in the forging process as well as the finished blade. I understand some, but the more I read on here, the more I feel like I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

Posted : 09/03/2016 11:25 pm
Kevin R. Cashen

Hello Shawn, many will immediately recommend "Metallurgy for the non-metallurgist" by Verhoeven, but I believe that is too hasty a recommendation for somebody requesting their first book on the topic. Premature rushing into the Verhoeven text has lead to much confusion and misinterpreted information in the knifemaking community. I would strongly recommend "Metallurgy Fundamentals" by Daniel Brandt to get you up to speed on the terminology and concepts before moving onto to something like Verhoeven. I have used Brandt's book as a text book in many of my classes to folks who are new to metallurgy and they are up to speed in short order.

I hope, in the next few months, to offer classes at my shop on these types of subjects but I am still negotiating with my insurance company.

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 10/03/2016 9:50 am
Topic starter

Thank you Kevin. I'll look both of those up.

Posted : 10/03/2016 1:32 pm
Share: