Notifications
Clear all

Recommended Books On Japanese Swords

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Can anyone recommend a good book on Japanese swords? I would like to learn more about the history and the making of these beautiful works of art.

Thanks.

Posted : 24/05/2017 12:03 pm
Lin Rhea

I have a book called "The Craft of the Japanese Sword" by Leon and Hiroko Kapp Yoshindo Yoshihara. I don't know what all there is out there as far as books are concerned on this subject. But I do believe it is a nice reference.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 24/05/2017 1:45 pm
Trusted Member Apprentice Bladesmith

I'm gonna go ahead and agree whole heartedly with lin. Its a very informative book and they have even released a sequel in recent years with high definition color pictures and a little more detail. It's called "the art of the Japanese sword"

Posted : 24/05/2017 5:31 pm
BrionTomberlin

Claude, if you are looking for basic history of Japanese swords and features, "The Samurai Sword, a handbook" by John Yumoto is considered a must have. As Lin said "The Craft of the Japanese Sword" is a good reference. The later version " The Art of the Japanese Sword" is more comprehensive. Same authors, Leon and Hiroko Kapp with national treasure Yoshindo Yoshihara. A great book is "A Conossieurs Guide to Japanese Swords" by Kokan Nagayama. It goes much deeper into schools, smiths, time periods, etc. If you like looking at swords with descriptions and great photography, you can find the Christies auction catalogue of the Walter Compton collection. It is kind of pricey though. They did not print that many. These should get you started. I would probably get Yumoto's book first.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 24/05/2017 8:56 pm
Topic starter

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input.

Posted : 24/05/2017 9:12 pm
BrionTomberlin

Claude, I forgot to mention www.satcho.com. They carry all kinds of books on Japanese swords.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 24/05/2017 11:29 pm
Topic starter

Thanks Brion.

Posted : 25/05/2017 10:48 am
Share: