Notifications
Clear all

Kard Dagger Sheath

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Here is a sheath I just finished up for a recent Kard dagger it's my first attempt at carving. The handle is olive wood so I did an olive branch with olives. Comments welcome .

Thanks for looking Gilbert

Posted : 20/11/2016 12:53 pm
Admin_DJC305

Well done, Gilbert!

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 20/11/2016 2:27 pm
cal harkins

Hello Gilbert,

For your first hand tooled leather sheath, I believe it is very good. Your sheath looks well constructed and neath stitching.

My advice for you is to practice, practice, practice. Going to classes helps you learn techniques new to you is a good idea. Tandy leather has classes here in Oklahoma from time to time. I figure they do in Arizona too. Watching Youtube videos is good. Look for videos where the leather worker is producing good work. You don't need to learn bad habits.

What kind of knives do you like to make?

Posted : 20/11/2016 4:32 pm
Topic starter

Thank you Dan. Cal thank you this is my 5th sheath I have a Chuck Burrows dvd I really like it I've watched it many times. I need to make it to one of those Tandy classes it's always good to see things done hands on. I'm in my 50s and I started with kitchen knives and still do some as well as Bowies and Hunters then I add in challenges like this knife and sheath.

Posted : 20/11/2016 11:43 pm
New Member Guest

Hi Gilbert, looks great for only your 5th sheath! There is a Tandy Leather shop off of University (east of the Airport). Jim is the manager there and is a great guy. I know Tandy carries a book called "Figure Carvin." It is an excellent resource and has tons of practical information. One thing I know I need to watch for is leaving tooling marks on the background ... it all has to be done with the same amount of pressure from blow to blow.

Your stitching looks tight and even and is countersunk as well! Countersinking the stitching like that can add decades of life to a sheath if properly cared for. Did you use a saddle stitch or machine?

- Frank B

Posted : 26/01/2017 6:55 pm
Topic starter

Frank thanks I drilled the holes and then hand stitched it. I need to make a pair of gloves to save my fingers.

Posted : 27/01/2017 9:22 am
Share: