Leather Sewing Mach...

Notifications
Clear all

Leather Sewing Machine?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I am looking for a manual machine to sew leather sheaths. I'd really like an old treadle machine, but I have no idea which ones if any are up too the task. I am just getting started with making knives an the local leather craftsman that I was going to use for the sheaths till it was better timing for me to branch into it was killed in a car wreck. So now I have to scramble and get set up for leather work as well. Unfortunately it seems his wife sold off the machines from his shop already online too. I just got my first deals worked out this week for shops to sell my knives and they all want sheaths included. I just need something reliable and simple to get started so I can get some money coming back into the shop. The amount of time it takes to hand stitch a good sheath is killing me.

Posted : 28/10/2016 3:45 pm
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

I hope you get some good answers. I've been looking for one myself. Most places I find seem to recommend a Tippmann Boss, which can run over $1200 new. That's a little too much for me in the cost vs time savings.

If you haven't made many yet, I would suggest trying a couple out with a drill press. After some practice I think you'll be able to drill out and sew up a 3 layered sheath in about 20-30 minutes.

If anyone has a $200-300 or less solution that works great, I'd love to hear it, because that would be totally worth it to me.

Posted : 31/10/2016 9:31 am
Karl B. Andersen

A treadle machine just won't handle it. They're not designed for such work.

Probably best off to start saving and get a Boss or similar machine.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 31/10/2016 9:51 am
Karl B. Andersen

I will admit that doing a "leather sewing machine" search on Ebay brings up some interesting results.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 31/10/2016 9:54 am
Topic starter

From what I've found so far the treadles that were made for shoe repair will work on leather up to 3/4". The problem is finding a good one in reliable working condition that somebody doesn't think it's lined with gold. Very much like an anvil, idiots drive the prices up trying to buy them for decoration.

I really don't like that Tippman Boss design. Maybe if it was 500-600. For as much money as they want for those I can find a used industrial machine that will allow me to use both hands to sew. For what it does the price is a rip off.

Posted : 31/10/2016 3:24 pm
Joshua States

I have a Tippman Aerostitch and I rarely use it. Here is my advice on sewing sheaths:

Get the DVD Custom Knife Sheaths with Chuck Burrows It is probably out of stock in most places as Chuck recently passed away, but keep looking and try the Wild Rose Trading Co. website: http://www.wrtcleather.com/tr-books/books-1.shtml

This is a foolproof method of quickly learning and doing hand sewn leather sheaths.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 11/11/2016 10:53 pm
Share: