Notifications
Clear all

Sambar And Damascus Takedown Bowie

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Howdy folks. Here's the latest one from my shop, another knife with a lot of "firsts." This knife is my first takedown, my first turned finial, first fluted guard, and first contoured butt cap. The blade is random carbon steel Damascus that I purchased off the Knifedogs classifieds about four years ago. The furniture is all 416 stainless. The handle is Sambar stag. Overall length is 11 inches. This one will be on my table at the Lone Star show April 12-13.

[video=youtube;3cdooFzWrO4] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cdooFzWrO4&list=TLBV5bXucU6lk-Cg4bhDqPncBa0KWx4xL2

Thanks for looking. Critical feedback welcome.

Jason

Posted : 11/03/2014 8:32 pm
Lin Rhea

Good job Jason! I enjoyed that.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 11/03/2014 9:02 pm
BrionTomberlin

Good work Jason, especially for all the firsts in the build. I do have a couple of comments, one thing that strikes me is the guard looks thick for the knife to me. Also on the buttcap, instead of leaving it the same thickness, you might consider doming it so it flows better. Also makes it easier to file to match the stag contour as it is thinner at the edges. Now this is just personal taste. I wish you luck at the show and again good work.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 13/03/2014 9:46 pm

|quoted:

Good work Jason, especially for all the firsts in the build. I do have a couple of comments, one thing that strikes me is the guard looks thick for the knife to me. Also on the buttcap, instead of leaving it the same thickness, you might consider doming it so it flows better. Also makes it easier to file to match the stag contour as it is thinner at the edges. Now this is just personal taste. I wish you luck at the show and again good work.

Brion

I agree with everything here, but overall I think this is maybe your best yet. Top 5, for sure. It'd be easy to dome the butt, even now...

Travis Fry
www.travisknives.com

Posted : 14/03/2014 10:06 am
Share: