Notifications
Clear all

250 Little Giant

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Mike Williams
Topic starter

If any of you guys have firsthand knowledge of the setup and and adjustments of this thing I have a good friend who has one and is looking for info. I have never worked with such a beast.

Post here or email me. I would appreciate it.

Mike

Mike Williams

Master Smith

Posted : 10/06/2014 7:43 am
Admin_DJC305

Mike

When it comes to Little Giant power hammers, Journeyman Smith Dave Sloan is the expert that I would recommend.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 10/06/2014 8:29 am
Trusted Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Mike,

Here's some info. that might help. The hammer weights in at 6000#'s. You can forge up to 6" material. It should have at least a 7-1/2hp motor. Not sure on the pulley size though. The dies top and bottom should measure 5". It has brass lined ram guides. Which is a bonus on these machines. The dies should be 2-1/2" apart at the lowest point. If the age of the spring is unknown replace please. Roger at LG has these is stock. They are going to be pricey, but the spring is the heart of the machine. When installing a new spring run as loose as possible. Extreme tension is your enemy in the case of a power hammer.

Also if you could post a photo or two I can tell you some more. Some odd 250's were made at the start of production. With bolt together ram guides.

The recommend foundation is 40X67X55" deep. A good solid foundation is a must for these big hammers.

If you would like more detailed instructions as to adjustments like setting the clutch blocks, how tight to set the main bearings, pitman adjustment and ram guide adjustment. Just let me know and I can talk you through it.

Side note make sure everything is well oiled and greased. DO NOT push new grease on top of old. This can cause serious problems. (I would hate to see a 250 running wide open when you hit the switch).

If I can be of any other help let me know.

Dave from Diller

Posted : 11/06/2014 12:49 am
Mike Williams
Topic starter

Thanks Dave;

I am sure this will help. I will forward this to him. He will probably call you to talk in the future. I haven't seen the hammer. He has a 5 foot deep rebarred footing poured for it. He has torn the hammer completely down, cleaned and is putting back together.

Said it had no signs of any use on the bearings, guides, or dies.

Probably some little old lady just used it on Sundays. 🙂

Mike

Mike Williams

Master Smith

Posted : 11/06/2014 6:44 am
Share: