Clear all

Air Hammer Question

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Travis
Topic starter

Hello,

I am in the market for a power hammer and have been looking at big blu's hammers. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with them and had any opinions to share. I wanted to get a Iron Kiss hammer but Mr. Larson said he is taking some time off from building so I am exploring my options. Thanks

Posted : 15/08/2015 11:58 am
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Travis, I have a big blu 110#. I like how easy they are to control you can just kiss the metal or really hit it. I have not had any problems out of mine so far.I have also used the 65# and it works verry well also. You will need to make shure you have a compressor big enough to handle the air. Landon

Posted : 15/08/2015 12:27 pm
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Also they are made to where you can add sand in the upright and the piece going to the anvil. I do recommend this as it will cut down on the noise somewhat. And you don't have to have a big concrete footing under them.

Posted : 15/08/2015 12:52 pm
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

I've used a number of the Big Blu hammers, and personally I prefer the self contained hammers such as Say-Mak or Anyang. IF a person is set on a Big Blu, my recommendation would be to buy their "package" which includes the compressor. I say that because a number of folks I know have purchase the Big Blu hammers, then found that their existing compressor could not handle the air requirements. The minimum compressor for any Big Blu models is going to set you back $2K+.

Based on my experiences, I would say that a person would be better off buying either a Say-Mak or an Anyang hammer. It would be a bit more money, but if you've committed to spending near the $10K mark on a hammer, the Say-Mak or Anyang are much better choices in my opinion.

I personally own a Say-Mak, and although its a chunk of money to purchase, its one of the best tool purchases I've ever made.

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 16/08/2015 6:49 pm
New Member Guest

That is unfortunate that Mr Larson isn't building hammers, hopefully that is just temporary. Unfortunately no one is importing Say-maks at this time either, although I spoke with one person who bought one dealing directly with the company (sounded like a headache).

Ed mentioned Anyang, and there is also Sahiliner (very similar to the Say-mak). One other hammer to maybe consider is the KZ-100, made by Ken Zitur. I don't know anyone who's used one, but I've seen video of them and the control is absolutely amazing. Ken modeled his controls on a steam hammer, you can either run it tupping, like most air hammers, or run it like a power treadle hammer with the tup moving in direct proportion to the foot pedal. He also uses a substantial anvil, which is something I don't see many of the other hammers doing. Anyway it's worth looking into (check youtube).

Posted : 19/08/2015 9:44 am
Mike Williams

I am hoping to spring for a new hammer soon. probably will be a Big Blue.

I have ran the Anyang and the Say-Mak. They work well. But when they break down; and every thing does sooner or later; what do you do? No standard parts avail.

I know of two smiths that had big problems with the all in ones.

All the seals rings and valves for the Blue can be at your door; next day.

Something to consider.

Mike

Mike Williams

Master Smith

Posted : 21/08/2015 7:44 pm
Travis
Topic starter

Wow, I took way to long to respond to this. Life got in the way of things. Thanks for all your replies I appreciate. One big plus to the big blu hammers is they are located about 2 hours from me so that would make them very convenient. I had never heard of the KZ-100 before. After looking at that I would love to have one of those hammers, they look pretty amazing.

Posted : 24/12/2015 9:45 pm
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

We have a saymak that is all most 10 years old and a 100 year old Nazel 4b nether have parts available but they are simple parts for the most part and easly fabricated. The saymak the only problems we have had have been either off the shelf hoses or motor/motor starter. I have heard of others having bigger problem but they have been few most seem to run well and have little problems unless poorly maintained.

Posted : 25/12/2015 10:49 am
Share: