Notifications
Clear all

Beverly Shear For 1095, 15N20 Stock?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Anyone use a beverly shear (SS-3 or B3) for cutting stock to size? I'm looking to shear old sawmill blades I can get locally (15N20 in 1/16-1/8" - I recall reading somewhere they were mid-40 to mid-50 HRC somewhere ), and to shear 3/16x1 1/2" HRA 1095 bar stock - just wondering if anyone else has had success with those two steels with a beverly shear or something similar - looking to move away from plasma/chop saw if possible (and get a bit more exercise in the process). both shears are speced to 3/16" thick mild, but I expect/hope the specs are a little conservative so looking for first hand experience.

Thanks,

David

Posted : 26/11/2019 12:42 pm
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

I too own a Beverly shear..... DO NOT use it for the purpose you mention! I tried.....ONCE, and wrecked the blades. It took me forever to find new ones.....they are out of this world expensive!!

My answer is to buy my damascus stock from Kelly Cupples out of Yakima, WA. Kelly sells both the materials you mentioned, but you can order them already cut to the size pieces you want. He doesn't have a website, but if you want his phone number, just PM me.

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 03/12/2019 9:21 am
Topic starter

Thanks Ed, That's was I figured but I wanted to hear it from someone who'd tried it with a Beverly (Trick Tools had asked around when I pinged them but nobody had tried it, and since it was technically out of specs).

Oh well, sticking with plasma for now I guess (local scrap yard gets industrial sawmill blades) - I bought from Kelly for years, but can't justify paying for the convenience any more and switched to Pacific Machinery and Tool Steel for 1095 that I've been very happy with (and likely the same stock that Kelly carried) - now if only they carried 1080...

Cheers,

David

PS. Trick Tools carries the replacement blades if you ever need them - I have no affiliation with them, just randomly found them on Instagram...

|quoted:

I too own a Beverly shear..... DO NOT use it for the purpose you mention! I tried.....ONCE, and wrecked the blades. It took me forever to find new ones.....they are out of this world expensive!!

My answer is to buy my damascus stock from Kelly Cupples out of Yakima, WA. Kelly sells both the materials you mentioned, but you can order them already cut to the size pieces you want. He doesn't have a website, but if you want his phone number, just PM me.

Posted : 04/12/2019 5:06 pm
Share: