Notifications
Clear all

How Much Refractory To Buy

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Ok so I'm building a vertical forge it is about 16" long and 16" wide. The plan is to use 2" of wool covered in 3/4" of Satanite with a thin layer of ITC-100. I'm going to cast a floor out of a 3" slab of cast o lite and the top of the forge will probably have about 1/12" of cast o lite. I was wondering if you guys could give me a rough idea of how much wool, Satanite, ITC-100, and cast o lite I need to buy? The stuffs expensive so I don't want to buy waaay to much but I want to buy enough. I'm really not sure how much the refractory or anything else will cover so I figured I would ask how much you guys would buy. Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks!

Posted : 16/12/2017 11:56 pm
Topic starter

Anyone? Would there be a better spot to post this?

Posted : 18/12/2017 4:19 pm
Estimable Member Master Bladesmith

Hi Daniel You will find alot of good information on the internet. Abs has you tube channel with a video on building a vertical forge.

Or you can by one! Uncle al sells them.

Scott

Posted : 18/12/2017 9:38 pm
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

Daniel....

If you're going to use the forge for welding, I would encourage you to find/buy a case. It will save you a bunch of money versus buy by the square foot. For a few years I used that type of forge, specifically for damascus, and it required relining about every 3-4 months.

I don't know where everybody gets the idea that "more is better" when it comes to ceramic fiber. A single layer of 1" #8 density will require less warm up time, and will maintain temp on less propane/PSI then 2". Forget the satinite.... it provides zero insulation value, and is something that will take more time/fuel to bring to temp. In other words the cons of it far outweigh the pros.

Personally, I would recommend that if you're starting with a 16" dia. split it down each side and weld in 4-6" of plate to create an oval shape. That will allow you to work longer billets, without having to heat all the excess width.

The 3" floor for that size shell in going to take 1- 1 1/2 bags of cast-o-lite. When I did my last forge. I used firebricks spaced out for the floor....then "poured" castable to fill the gaps between the bricks, and up to the thickness..... that only required me to use a bit over 1/2 a bag.

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 18/12/2017 10:39 pm

Seems like I remember you doing a tutorial on your last build Ed. I would do a search on gas forges on the forum search bar. It may take some scrolling but I know this had been discussed before with photos.

Posted : 18/12/2017 10:51 pm
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

The WIP is a "sticky" at the top of this particular forum..... but it was a victim of the Photobucket fiasco...... you can't see the pics..... and when photobucket pulled their stunt, the locked up all the photos I'd uploaded for the WIP....and required me to pay them $400 to unlock my account. I refuse to do it.

Here's a link to the WIP that I posted in another forum. The pictures are visible IF you install the chrome or Firefox extension that is in the red font at the beginning of the thread. I can't seem to get the extension to work here on the ABS forums.

https://knifedogs.com/threads/new-welding-forge-wip.43590/

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 19/12/2017 9:12 am
Trusted Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

|quoted:

The WIP is a "sticky" at the top of this particular forum..... but it was a victim of the Photobucket fiasco...... you can't see the pics..... and when photobucket pulled their stunt, the locked up all the photos I'd uploaded for the WIP....and required me to pay them $400 to unlock my account. I refuse to do it.

Here's a link to the WIP that I posted in another forum. The pictures are visible IF you install the chrome or Firefox extension that is in the red font at the beginning of the thread. I can't seem to get the extension to work here on the ABS forums.

https://knifedogs.com/threads/new-welding-forge-wip.43590/

I don't have anything to add about the forge because I've only built one (from Ed's plans) and it works great. I do have the Firefox extension on my browser and all your pictures still work in that forge build sticky for me.

Posted : 19/12/2017 8:11 pm
Topic starter

Thanks very much fellas!

Posted : 21/12/2017 8:53 pm
Topic starter

This is a dumb question but where is the search bar? I'm sure it's right in front of my face but I'm not seeing it. Lol

Posted : 21/12/2017 10:51 pm
BrionTomberlin

Daniel it is in the top right corner. Good luck with your forge.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 21/12/2017 11:22 pm
Share: