Notifications
Clear all

Working Outside The Box

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Noble Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

This project was experimental from the start. My original concept was for a Tudor or 16th century dagger but not necessarily purely traditional but incorporating some of my personal influence.

I thought what is more Tudor than roses since that is on their family crest so I decided to incorporate a rose bud into each end of the guard for this dagger. To do this I had to make the guard from three pieces:

To accomplish this I started with some 5/8" 416 round bar. I then turned the ends & center bored them on a lathe before forging the middle to shape. I also did some filework to the ends to create more of a feel of a rose bud. The centers of the rose bud were turned on the lathe from some 1/4" 416 round bar and silver soldered in place before bending the guard to shape.

For the blade I wanted to make an entirely new Damascus pattern. For this I used an irregular initial billet of 1080 & 15N20 with the interior layers being without the 15N20 & solely of 1080 and slightly off center.

After welding the initial billet I did a cut & stack in which I reversed every other piece to create an irregular "W" pattern with a solid carbon steel center. Here's the result after tile cutting & welding:

Posted : 02/04/2018 8:44 pm
Topic starter

To compliment the rose bud guard I did a little filework to the pommel:

I debated on maybe adding inlayed escutcheons to the blackwood handle but decided that with the busy Damascus pattern and filework that it would look better plain.

I hope that this little WIP inspires some of you to try something new in your work.

Gary

Posted : 02/04/2018 8:44 pm
BrionTomberlin

Excellent Gary! The pattern is great. Nice package.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 02/04/2018 9:10 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Excellent Gary! The pattern is great. Nice package.

Brion

Thanks, Brion.

Posted : 02/04/2018 10:50 pm
Joshua States

That's a fantastic piece of work Gary. You are certainly turning them out lately, and in good form. I really like what you are doing with the tile mosaics. Lots of room there for experimentation.

Thanks for the continual inspiration.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 03/04/2018 12:47 am
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Gary

Nice work , executing and planing. Thanks for showing.

Anthony

Posted : 03/04/2018 9:36 am
Topic starter

Thanks, gentlemen.

Posted : 03/04/2018 3:09 pm
Share: