Notifications
Clear all

Handles And Guards Class: Preparation

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Mike Williams
Topic starter

We discussed in an earlier post about getting ready for the Intro Classes; now I would like to talk about the preps for handles and guards. H & G for short.

H & G classes are the next step up; usually; for students taking classes on bladesmithing. While not as physically demanding as the intro class; the week long class will almost give you mental overload; so many details, so little time.

Talk to your instructor before the class starts; he will help you help yourself.

Lets try to go over some of the details that will allow you to get the most out of the class.

1. Have your blades ready for the class!!!!!! Finished except for guards and handle. This hugely important. You don't want to waste time in class grinding on blades and such. This happens every class.

Have the ricasso of your blade clean and squared away, at least 3/16's thick. 1/4 is much better. Why these dimensions? Having the ricasso thick enough to set shoulders for your guard

and still have a tang big enough to work with will save you a world of aggravation.

HAVE YOUR BLADES READY !!!!!!

2. Tools you really need:

centerpunch

scribe

2-3 inch precision square

calipers

6" straight edge/rule

files

magnifiers? if you are an old guy like me. you have to see it before you can fix it.

They don't have to be expensive ones, cheap ones will get you by just fine.

3. Material? You should bring a few pieces for your project. The school has some but you have an idea of what you want and it may not be available for your class. Nickle silver/brass and

wood is much easier to learn on. Save the expensive and hard to work stuff later on. Working stainless and ivory/stag is problematic at best.

H & G is one of the more difficult classes to teach in my opinion. There is an infinite number of ideas for dressing a knife and just about that many ways to get there.

The class is to teach you from the basics to the advanced but please don't try to get over ambitious. By that I mean; if you can't fit up an oval guard and ferrule cleanly now; don't come to the class expecting to complete a frame handle assembly during the week. The classes stress good fits on your blades and how to achieve them. That is the key to progressing as a knifemaker.

If you have completed knives, bring them. We all like to oogle the other guys work and it gives the instructor some insights into what you have done and where you want to go.

HAVE YOUR BLADES READY!!!!

I'll probably think of all the important things I forgot when I remember them.

Mike

Mike Williams

Master Smith

Posted : 10/11/2010 9:10 am
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith

A timely topic as I will be heading down to Old Washington on Sunday for the Handles and Guards class with Joe Keeslar. I emailed Mr. Keeslar about the class and he said to have two completely finished blades (one full tang and one hidden tang style). He also said to bring any handle material desired,but mentioned that there would be some on hand and that Uncle Al would be stopping by. I recieved a letter about two days ago from the Texarkana College saying to bring three blades minimum one full tang and two narrow. Up to this point that is pretty close to all the information I have been able to dig up. So, any additional information would be great. I am excited about the class and barring camera issues etc. when I get back from the class there will be a bit more information out there.

Posted : 10/11/2010 12:43 pm
BrionTomberlin

Hello Allen. I would go with what Joe says, with maybe a third blade in case you get the two done to your liking. It will be a good class with a really good instructor. Enjoy it.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 11/11/2010 11:39 pm
Lin Rhea

Alan,

When I go to a class, I set myself a goal. By the end of the class I want to add another trick to my bag, you know? In this case, I would set it as a priority to be able to learn another handle construction, so when you get home you will have that in your arsenal. You will cover several, but you may only have time to do one or two justice. You are an experienced maker now, but the ideas you get will blossom when you're at home.

Take a few files with you and aybe a drawing pad. Just things I think of. Have fun.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 12/11/2010 10:16 am
Share: