Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Preparing For Classes

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Mike Williams
Topic starter

I believe; or at least hope; that most of the future students at the ABS classes are aware of and use this forum. If not they really should as it is an invaluable resource.

A student for one of the classes in 2011 contacted me the other day concerning what he needed to bring to the Handles and Guards class. Which got me thinking; sound dangerous don't it?; about why he is one of the very few students that have ever done so.

Which also got me to thinking about what I could do help the students prepare themselves to:

A. Get the most out of the classes.

B. Make the class an enjoyable experience.

C. Try to keep the instructor's brain from losing anymore of the three cells that they have left.

This is not a must do, but I promise you it will make everything go smoother for you in the classes.

1. Get in touch with the instructor of the class beforehand. If he or she is like the smiths I know they are BUSY most of the time, don't take too much. Introduce yourself and ask what they would like you to do to be prepared.

Basic Bladesmithing Course:

This is a two week course. A true marathon for students who have not done a lot of hammer swinging. You will cut years off of your learning curve as a beginning smith if you take full advantage of this course.

Safety gear

Safety glasses and ear protection. Bring yours that FITS you and that you have tried on.

Apron, gloves, and footwear that covers the whole foot. Leather is much preferred for all. It don't burn easily. Sandals, thongs, shorty pants etc. are a negative in basic class. Exposed skin will burn.

If you are forging some now bring the tools you are familiar with using. It will speed up the process for you.

That is about it for the basic class. I have probably forgotten something important; but that is usual on three brain cells.

My philosophy in the basic classes is that if I can teach you to make just one knife correctly, you can go home and make as many as you want that are right. If you come out of the class with a dozen or more knives that all still have major problems, then those are what you will make when you get home to your forge.

Come prepared for two weeks of intensive training. It will be a blast.

Mike

Mike Williams

Master Smith

Posted : 10/10/2010 9:13 am
BrionTomberlin

I can think of a couple other things to add to Mikes really good information. One would be gloves, at least two pair. If you use them for grinding you will go through them. Also bring some type of pain reliever, aspirin, ibuprofen, etc. as you will be sore if you have not forged a lot before, especially the first few days. Bring a sense of humor and be prepared to have fun.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 10/10/2010 1:21 pm
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith

I would also suggest bringing some way to stay hydrated. We were lucky in our class in that Tim Potier brought a cooler with water. I also brought a big insulated cup that I kept full of water as being in a room with several forges running at once can get hot. And, if you start feeling overheated take a break.

Posted : 12/10/2010 7:05 pm
Eminent Member Journeyman Bladesmith

I've not taken the class but would think that a camera and plenty of paper/pens for note taking would be very handy.

Posted : 13/10/2010 10:39 am
New Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Speak to the instructor first...I took the basic course years ago and was forturnate enough to have Mr Williams as my instructor [I still think of him as my Guru]..He insisted we use hammer and anvil only and learn the basics of forging....I've since met knifemakers who took the course with instructors who had them using power hammers within the first couple of days..Even after all these years our frame of refrences are different...

I feel I was very lucky,but you should know what to expect before you get there.

Posted : 06/11/2010 8:01 pm

If it's already mentioned I missed it - respirator like maybe the 3M half-face models, or at least the paper ones they sell for welding. Once people start grinding, the stuff in the air can get pretty thick. Some kind of apron. I had a leather welding apron. +1 on the multiple sets of gloves.

And if the diner there in Old Washington is still operating, lunch money and don't miss the jalapeno cornbread!

Steve

Posted : 04/12/2011 8:19 am

Ear plugs...10 people pounding on anvils gets loud!

Steve Watkins

www.ironmanknives.com

Posted : 05/12/2011 10:14 am
Share: