Notifications
Clear all

Intro To Bladesmithing-Old Washington Ar

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Mike Williams
Topic starter

Our fall schedule is getting ready to kick off at the Texarkana School of Bladesmithing.

The heat seems to have broken at just about the right time this year. Our start off class will be Intro to Bladesmithing with myself and MS Greg Neely.

You guys and girls who have been wanting to get a jump start in your bladesmithing; a class is one of your best investments. A two week class will take years off your learning curve.

We will have a Handles and Guards class and a Damascus class this fall also.

Get signed up. Contact Vickie McCorkle at Tex. Colleg.

p.s.

The intro class going on at the same weekend as the Piney Woods Hammer-In. We'll see you in Arkansas.

Mike

Mike Williams

Master Smith

Posted : 28/08/2015 2:46 pm
Mike Williams
Topic starter

I was remiss in adding; Gordon Graham js, soon to be MS; has kindly built a knife for the Fall Hammer-In. I think this is the ninth knife in this series where we have a drawing of the attendees and one of them will own a very fine custom knife.

As I mentioned this is the ninth knife. The maker receives no payment for the knife; it is just a way for each of us to give in some way to the Moran School. If you look at the alumnus of the school at Old Washington, you can see some of the truly greats in knife making and the forged blade.

I never leave the Hammer-In; even after 25 years; that I don't have a go get after attitude; that I didn't have when I came in for the weekend.

Am I getting wordy in my old age?

M

Mike Williams

Master Smith

Posted : 28/08/2015 7:00 pm
Trusted Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

I am booked into the intro to bladesmithing at the Texarkana School and really looking forward to it so I will see you there Mike.

I was unaware of the hammer in though so this is a bonus for me and should be another great place for me to learn some more!

Thanks

Barry

Posted : 30/08/2015 4:19 pm
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

I sent my application in for the intro to bladesmithing at the Texarkana School in November. Looking forward to meeting the instructors and Barry. Great time of the year for me as I will be able to take what I learn and use it in Texas as the temperatures drop in the fall and winter.

Scott

Posted : 10/09/2015 9:04 pm

Mike is there anything that we need to bring. I assume safety gear (eye protection, respirator, comfortable boots, shop apron, gloves, cotton work cloths, etc) and a hammer. What else am I missing?

Posted : 18/10/2015 7:17 pm
Admin_DJC305

Scott

Mike Williams started a thread on preparing for bladesmithing classes on the ABS Forum which you will find to be very helpful and should answer your questions at, Click: Preparing for Class

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 18/10/2015 9:23 pm

Thanks Dan. That thread is very helpful.

Posted : 18/10/2015 10:34 pm
Share: