Notifications
Clear all

Training Classes

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
10.4 K Views
Topic starter

I was on Ed Caffrey's website and saw where he offers one on one classes at his shop. Is there anything like this on the East cost? I know we have the classes at Haywood in Clyde NC, but is there anything out there that is more like what Ed Caffrey offers?

Posted : 27/10/2015 1:45 pm
New Member Guest

I've never seen much other than the Haywood or Maine classes on the east coast. I looked back when I started. I'll probably do a couple of Old Washington classes soon. I really like all the folks in the Haywood area. They make you feel at home!

If you find anything I would be interested also. Especially if it's based on making one style knife start to finish. Like the Brut de Forge or the Dooms Day knife class.

I know Bill Wiggins makes a very nice drop point hunter, he has a DVD set showing his process, that would make a great class. Heck nearly every JS/MS has something we could all benefit from that classes from them in Ed's format. I wish he was closer to me. I'd be there in a heart beat...

Posted : 27/10/2015 3:21 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

I've never seen much other than the Haywood or Maine classes on the east coast. I looked back when I started. I'll probably do a couple of Old Washington classes soon. I really like all the folks in the Haywood area. They make you feel at home!

If you find anything I would be interested also. Especially if it's based on making one style knife start to finish. Like the Brut de Forge or the Dooms Day knife class.

I know Bill Wiggins makes a very nice drop point hunter, he has a DVD set showing his process, that would make a great class. Heck nearly every JS/MS has something we could all benefit from that classes from them in Ed's format. I wish he was closer to me. I'd be there in a heart beat...

Thank you George, Haywood is about four hours from my home and it might just make a good vacation spot for my wife while I attend classes.

I was hoping to find a MS or JM who did one on one training close to me but I know they are far and few between. I have been making knives for years by stock removal so I really don't need much in the way of handles, bolsters, or the like, just basic forging.

Posted : 27/10/2015 3:39 pm

I was fortunate enough to go up and take a week long class from Ed a few years ago. It really is valuable getting to have a maker take you through the entire process, especially starting out. I know someone who took some classes/sessions with an MS here in the NW a while back, too. I don't know that he advertises necessarily (like Ed has on his site). If there are some makers around you, I'd try to contact them and see if they would be willing to teach some basic forging classes to you. I'd think at least one or two might be willing to trade their time and knowledge for some payment. I can't tell you how helpful it was to have one on one help from someone with a whole lot of experience... Good luck to you, hope something works out.

Jeremy

Jeremy Lindley, Apprentice Smith

Posted : 29/10/2015 6:21 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

I was fortunate enough to go up and take a week long class from Ed a few years ago. It really is valuable getting to have a maker take you through the entire process, especially starting out. I know someone who took some classes/sessions with an MS here in the NW a while back, too. I don't know that he advertises necessarily (like Ed has on his site). If there are some makers around you, I'd try to contact them and see if they would be willing to teach some basic forging classes to you. I'd think at least one or two might be willing to trade their time and knowledge for some payment. I can't tell you how helpful it was to have one on one help from someone with a whole lot of experience... Good luck to you, hope something works out.

Jeremy

Thank you Jeremy for the reply. Ed was gracious enough to PM me with some ideas also. I will certainly check out the JM's and MS's in and around my state. If that does not pan out I just might fly across the country and take a class with Ed. Forging is not a flash in the pan for me I have been making knives for years via stock removal and however I just began to forge I have the bug.

Posted : 29/10/2015 9:32 am
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Hi George & Dean, If you would like a class from a particular MS or JS that lives near you or a reasonable distance from you and you are familiar with their work I would call them on the phone. Or if your on face book as a lot of makers are you can pm them to keep it private. Whats the worst thing that could happen, they say "no thank you". Look at our ABS website. A lot of these makers have a real tight schedule and may not have the time for teaching, but some just may want to and have never been approached. And some makers that do teach may have as may as 4-5 students for the week. Some will have 3 students and then you may have a teacher that will so one-on-one. Our ABS is all about teaching and passing it along. These folks want to pass on their information. It may not be in teaching classes, but you wont know until you try. And George, you know the area that I live in. I travel 16 hrs. to Washington for hammer-in's for a long week-end. To me it's worth every bit the time, effort and money for that short period of time.

Jim Fisher

Posted : 26/12/2015 11:31 pm
Topic starter

Thank you Jim, I just ordered a video from Ed that might get me started. Who knows I might just have to fly out west to have a class with him.

Posted : 28/12/2015 1:28 pm
Trusted Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Hi Dean since you are only about 4 hours from Haywood you might consider coming to the March hammer in. The green coal room is open most of the weekend and there is always a smith in there willing to help with your forging. I will be there and will be glad to help you.

Posted : 29/12/2015 8:54 am
Topic starter

Thank you Barry, I already contacted Ken Hall and he replied that he would have more information about the Hammer In after the first year. Doing my best to work it into my schedule and I hope to meet you there. Thanks for the offer to help, God knows I need it.

Posted : 29/12/2015 10:07 am
Share: